Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cautionary tale #2

Following on from the tale by OC here is mine

Chasing folks through the census (as you do) pops up the odd sibling you don't always pay attention to in great detail. As a stop gap you add them to a family group and base the date and pob from the census with the intention of finding refs and ordering certs later.

I have just been going through one surname in my tree and giving sources to events, i have quite a few certs for different parts of the family, all scanned etc but never put the dates of birth into FTM, i simply left the year recorded from the census returns, as a result i'm now going through and amending them as needed, adding birth refs etc, it's amazing how many are a year or two out and how lazy i was in the first place.

Moral of the story, record all your sources properly, follow up all your certs by adding the full details to your tree data and don't take the "easy" option, in the long run it just makes more work later on.

As a result i have found several names in my tree that don't have GRO refs but are in the UKbmd local index for Lancs.......now i'm wondering if there is a particular problem with Lancs refs in the GRO index? I knew i didn't have the gro refs BUT until i put all my sources in i never realised the Lancs events were so badly recorded at the GRO.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Lol Glen.

I've been looking at gravestones in two churchyards, recording all the legible surnames that might be in my tree.

Got home to check against said tree - found a likely chap but the birthyear didn't match the age at death on the grave. So I looked at my notes and I've typed "Don't remember where I got this baptism date from. It's not on familysearch or Freereg"!!!

Oh well, he might not even be my relative!!!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Glen

Yes, Lancashire is reknowned for missing events.

I think I've said this before - I have six Lancashire certs from the local office which never made it to the GRO, and one which did, but was so badly misrecorded by the GRO that no one will ever find it.

The GRO told me "it is extremely unlikely that an event did not reach us". I sent them a photocopy of the offending cert...and never heard another word.

OC

Comment

I have a few examples of missing or completely wrong names on GRO index/certs OC. Usually for my Lincolnshire events, the Lancs side of things i haven't really delved into in great depth until i started adding my sources.

I have done similiar things to Nell too, some bits i have dates for but where did i find them? No cert or pr so where did i find an exact date???
        I'll have to delve through my notes to check, it has to come from somewhere but i can't think where.

In the meantime the update is partway through, all done on FTM so i can print it out for easy reference and edit at any time, just why did i leave it for soo long???

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Before I had any genealogy software, I started recording my tree using Genes Reunited. Because you have to put in a date of birth on GR - it doesn't allow you to leave it blank - I had to enter a lot of guesstimated dates. So these were all carried over to my Family Historian tree when I transferred the gedcom. FH lets you leave anything blank, of course, but I expect there are some old GR guesses still in there, and that's usually the reason for any lingering unsourced dob's in my tree.

Comment

Well that's finished the births, just four records i haven't got for the surname.

Next step is marriages and then deaths/burials, one day i will have a full set of sources i can zip through in report format without flicking into the notes for everyone.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I have two PAF trees (no don't ask why, its a long story), and I was going to merge them and just delete the duplicate individuals, but have decided, that even though there are over 5000 people, I should start from scratch and re-enter everyone individually on a new database - then I can add sources and notes as I go.

Sounds like a big job, and I should have done it ages ago, but at least I will be checking lots of things I entered several years ago and never followed up.

I think I will print out a numerical or alphabetical list by name and cross them off as they go into the new database.

The only problem is now, do I use PAF, or buy FTM or something else ?

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia
              Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I have my paper tree started nearly 30 years ago, and now taking up 8 lever arch files, and then 3 trees stored on Family Historian, labelled:
                Full Tree - everyone including living relatives, people who may or may not be part of the tree, bits and bobs given me by contacts etc

Share Tree - as above but with uncertain branches and living people stripped out so that I can post it on my website or send relevant parts to contacts

My tree - supposedly containing only those individuals and events I have sourced properly - but this is the one I never get around to bringing up to date, so it has gaps and chunks which are still unsourced, though the sources are probably recorded somewhere in those 8 files, or in the stack of papers and notebooks in carrier bags beside my desk! I think I shall have to start yet another tree and do as Di suggests. The problem being to ignore all new contacts and leads until this job is completed. Oh well, one day......
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post

The only problem is now, do I use PAF, or buy FTM or something else ?

Di

I can't really say how PAF works, with FTM i'm heading down the route of printing out assorted reports, one based on births, one for marriages, one for deaths/burials. In theory i could put them all into one report and get a complete list for every individual on one report but that would probably mean i don't concentrate on specific records or individuals but head for the easy to find stuff and neglect the more awkward ones.

I find it easier to sift through one type of record at a time, and becuase i'm visiting names in my file that don't get looked at too often it's a handy way to see where they were living. For example my 7xgrt grandparents married in one village but as yet i haven't found any births in that place but three in a village some way away several years later. Without the reports i still knew that but it's the going back over the records that has brought it to light again and i now have to wait for freereg and the IGI to come up with some pointers before asking for lookups. It's the splitting stuff down into manageable chunks that works for me but my tree has several families with naming patterns and certain names appear more than a dozen times so it's easy to mix them up.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I too was unable to find the registration of an 1860s birth in Lancashire in either GRO or Lancs BMD (maybe still to be entered?) but tracked down a baptismal record. Luckily, being an RC record, it also recorded the names of mother's parents.

Comment

Glen,

Remind me again, which FTM you have... I forget, :o

I have 2005 and 2009 but tbh I can't seem to get my head into 2009
                      (though I suppose I should really persevere with it)
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

2005 Julie but 2006 users can use exactly the same process, presumably 2009 won't be hugely different.

The full nitty gritty of adding sources and creating the reports is in the tips guide on the software board, all illustrated with screengrabs to show where and how i did it along with reports that i can pull up too.

Initially i just added everything to notes but no two sets of notes follow the same pattern or method so it ended up being difficult to see what i had or hadn't got.

I'm not saying it's a perfect method but i can list things up and see what i still need and avoid looking for the same things time and time again.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

ahhh ta,

I too add allsorts of refs and bapts info to me notes, usually the ancestry BMD refs..

when I get a few hours quiet time... I'll have a look see and begin to get it in some sort of order.

I like you have bits of things that are in paper notes, or squirrelled on me puter somehwere, but will be good to get all the relevant bits in the right place... for once!
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                            As a result i have found several names in my tree that don't have GRO refs but are in the UKbmd local index for Lancs.......now i'm wondering if there is a particular problem with Lancs refs in the GRO index? I knew i didn't have the gro refs BUT until i put all my sources in i never realised the Lancs events were so badly recorded at the GRO.
                            Glen, I think there is a particular problem between Lancashire and the GRO - see my thread from last week!

It is easier to find things through UKBMD - Lancashire than through the GRO.

I alter my tree (PAF) every time a get a certificate, but don't enter much in the way of sources. However, each family has its own Word file and I enter all the information chronologically family by family there. If my tree fails, I have all the information separately.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:
                            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                            X