Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florence

Hi,

After a break from tracing my tree, I decided to have another go at braking down some of my 'walls' over the weekend, and think I may have at least made a very small hole in one of them, but need help to trace it up.

I was looking at my Florence ancester's, and was going over the certificates I have when I came across my 2nd great grandfather's birth in 1842, when he was registered as John Fleurance. I have never given much thought to the mispelling before, but after stalling in my search, I decided to try and attempt to find out the accent of his mother from the mispelling. To me, and I may be wrong, it sounds a little French (in the Allo Allo sort of way).

John was registered by his mother, who's maiden name was Hall, so I guess she was English. But if her husband said the name in the Fleurance way, it may be the only way she can say it. So, First question - what do you think? Could Fleurance be the French way of saying Florence, or am I barking up the wrong tree!

I have found a fair few of the christenings of John and his siblings, and on most of them, the name is either Florence or Florance. There is one that has the surname as Florrens, and one as Lawrance though. Second question - Does this rule out them above link, or were the vicars just better at understanding them?

John's father was William, born about 1799. On the 1861 census, the only census I can find him on, he says he was born at Burton-upon-Trent. I have visited the library at Burton, and searched through the records, COE and Non-Conformist, and he is not there. Neither could I find two other Florence's born around the same time, and found on the census', Edward (born 1791 - who's son Nathaniel is living next to William's son John family on the 1881 census - surley it carn't be coincidence), and Richard (born 1796, at either Burton or Tutbury). The IGI has the records for Tutbury COE church, and they are not there either. Third question - If Edward, Richard & William's parents came from France, and were Catholic, where would they christen their children? Would they simply go to COE? Fourth question - If the three were lying about where they were born, or mis-understood the question asked, and were actualy from France, why would they not say France if they were born there? - Just looking at all posabilities with that one, there is no proof to suggest they were from France.

Fifth question - Is there any records that record all the French people coming into Britain. I guess that there would have been quite a few from the storming of the Bastille (1791?) onwards.

Sorry about the long story - I think it may be best to post up everything I know about them. And sorry for all the questions!

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

I cant answer your questions as I think, like you said, that a lot depends on the accent of the person speaking and on the ability of the person writing down the information. What i would liketo suggest is that if you consider if they were french then maybe they were hugenots coming over from France. There is a hugenot society that lists the family names coming here but I cant remember where I found it - very sorry.
    Angelina

Comment

Can you give the information from the 1861 census - can't see it at the moment - either the reference of the census or the name and year/place of birth.
      What was the place of birth of John (born 1842)
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry, I always seem to forget something!

John was born in Uttoxeter, but his age is out on the 1861 census.

On Ancestry, William is transcribed as Williams Lorance, and living at Draycott, Staffordshire. If you give me a couple of mins, I will get the reference for you. - RG number: RG09 Piece: 1957 Folio: 60 Page: 3 - As you will see, they liked to move around alot. I have found around 10 children, and there is never two born in a row at the same place. - Also I should mention that the reason he does not appear on any later census was because he died in 1869, I don't want any one wasting their time looking for him on a later census!

Tippin
        Last edited by Tippin; 10-08-09, 09:32.
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

They certainly look as if they liked to avoid the census.
          Do you have the names of any other children who were likely to appear on the 1841/1851 census.

I can't see why he would give his place of birth as Staffs if he was born in France - I think it may just be a misspelling because of an accent - or possibly mistranscribed from the original parish record - have you looked at them?
          Elaine

Comment

Elaine, the children I have for William & Alice are;

John Florence - 1824 - Burton-upon-Trent
            Maria Florence - 1831 - Uttoxeter
            George Florence - 1833 - Burton-upon-Trent - Christened as Florrans
            Ann Florence - 1835 - Stone - Christened as Lawrance
            William Florence -1838 - Uttoxeter
            Sarah Ann Florence -1840 - Burton-upon-Trent
            John Florence -1842 - Uttoxeter
            Sarah Jane Florence - 1844 - Yoxall - Can not find Christening
            Sabrina Florence - 1848 - Milwich

I have viewed the parish records for all of them, except John (b. 1824), and Sarah Jane. As I am currently at work, and away from my records, I can not say for certain that I have looked at the Ann Lawrence christening. The George Florrens is a relative, William puts down his occupation as a Spectacle Maker, the same occ that is on John's Birth Cert.

There is quite a few Florence's in Staffordshire that are hard to trace before the 1860's. I have had a look at Ancestry's Criminal Trial Index, and there are quite a few that I can not find. And some have uncommon forenames, like Uriah.

And I agree that the mispelling is proberbly down to the accent - but was the accent French. William may not be from France, but I wonder if his parents, or grand-parents were, and the accent has been passed down when saying the surname.

Angelina, thanks for the info on the Hugenot's. I have never herd of them before, but will try to follow that up. The only problem is, without first names' it may be hard.
            Last edited by Tippin; 10-08-09, 10:21.
            Families Intrested in

Comment

In French, Florence is pronounced similarly to English except the ence bit at the end. The Flor bit is much the same.

I would guess its just an example of a name being mangled. I have zillions of examples eg Mealing/Malen, Elsbury/Aylesbury etc. I am even thinking my gt x 3 gran Kezia Seals was actually Sales as there are lots of Sales in her village and no other Seals at all.

If the family were Catholic or even Hugenot (which you have no evidence of) they may have baptised the children as it enabled them to claim from the parish, attend a C of E school etc.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have a niece in law who is French and named Florence pronounced Flur ronce.

I have Heals being named Hill, Hale, Heel, as just on example of mis-spelling by the registrar.
                Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for you input. It is going to take alot of work for me to break down this wall, and god only knows how I will do it! I guess the way the French say Florence differs from region, like it does over here. It would be nice to have a bit of continental blood - I am fed up of having only Anglo-Welsh blood!!! (So you can guarentee the Florence's are English!)

Tippin
                  Families Intrested in

Comment

dont forget it could be a mangled flemish version of the name.

Comment

Working...
                    X