Can Anyone Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Anyone Help

George brooks (he married Emma Coupe in 1892 in Crompton claims father is Ben)
    1891 - George Brooks aged 21 - Coal drawer - brn Middlesex
    1901 - Henry G Brooks aged 31 - Coal Hewer - brn Chelmsford
    can find no birth for him
    Georges brother
    Alfred J Brooks (married Charlotte Kershaw in 1895 claims father Ben)
    1891 - Alfred J Brooks - aged 19 - Coal Miner - brn Brentwood
    1901 - Alfred J Brooks aged 27 - Coal Miner - brn Brentwood
    can find no birth for him either! Before 1891 there is no trace of these brothers BUT
    Living at Tower Hill, Brentwood
    William Burls aged 32 - Domestic Groom - brn Brentwood
    Annie Burls (wife) aged 31 - brn Ongar
    Alfred J Taber aged 7 - Son - brn Brentwood
    Henry G Taber aged 9 - Son -brn Chelmsford
    which matches
    Births
    Henry George TABER - 1872 Chelmsford
    Alfred James TABER - 1873 Billericay

In 1881 Henry P Taber is living with sarah although they didnt marry till much later and I can find no remmariage for Ann (Wright)although she did marry Henry P Taber in Chelmsford in 1872!

So what Im trying to do is - are these Brooks really Tabers? why are they saying ther father was Ben? Ann dissapears after 1881
    so basically ARGHHHHHHH

Have a look at this - RG11; Piece: 1817; Folio: 63; Page: 23 The George Morris is mis-transcribed as Brooks but given he is living with grandparents in Essex and is born in London I just thought maybe??
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks for that I think I had possibly looked at that before -but as there were Morris's next door I thought he was probably to do with them - I also think I found him in 1871 -
      I dont know what to do next with this - I have both the marriage certs which with the witnesses led me to so many red herrings
      also to throw another spanner in it
      in 1891
      in tower hill Brentwood
      there is a William Brooks brn brentwood police constable aged 23 - he is lodging with a Phoebe Davis who is living next door to William n Annie Burls in 1881...Another red herring??

Comment

Quite a puzzle you have. I am still looking as I'm intrigued!
        Margaret

Comment

Have you ever found a Ben Brooks?
          Margaret

Comment

No never found him I was actually surprised that he was named as Father on both marriage certs as I was preety sure he was made up - he is stated as a labourer on both marriage certs.

Comment

Also on both marriage certs the wifes Fathers are both as deceased Ben isnt

Comment

I can't find William Burls before 1881 either! I also tried Annie Taber for 1871 as she was presumably still married to the boys father but no luck!
                These people are proving very illusive which to me makes it likely that they are the ones you are looking for! changing their names to suit LOL
                Margaret

Comment

Have you got the 2 Taber birth certs to see who their parents are?

When I found a similar thing (including people living close by with one of the three names involved) it turned out to involve multiple marriages, children being known by the name of the stepfather in one census and not another etc.

Having said that, I can't see anything useful to help you unravel it!

Comment

Ann married Henry Taber in 1872 - Im preety sure she was Ann Wright brn Ongar abt 1853 - in 1871 she is as a neice (her parents were William Wright and Jane Livings)
                    I just wish I knew where the Brooks name came from

Comment

Hi Lindsay
                      No I havent I guess that I could get them to be honest the marriage in 1872 and then finding them on 1881 as Tabers and the births as Tabers I did think I would gain nothing from them - and plumpted more for the mariiage certs

Comment

If Ann married Henry Tabor perhaps she was just living with Mr Burl(?) and later lived with Mr Brooks for long enough that the children took his name.

Of course, that still doesn't explain who Ben was ...

Comment

It's a complete puzzle to me I think getting one of the birth certs for the Taber boys might help.
                          Margaret

Comment

Thanks for looking

Comment

If Ann married Henry Tabor perhaps she was just living with Mr Burl(?) and later lived with Mr Brooks for long enough that the children took his name.

Of course, that still doesn't explain who Ben was ...
                              thats almost my theory

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Scattingdon View Post
                                Ann married Henry Taber in 1872 - Im preety sure she was Ann Wright brn Ongar abt 1853 - in 1871 she is as a neice (her parents were William Wright and Jane Livings)
                                I just wish I knew where the Brooks name came from
                                Brooks is my maiden surname :-)
                                Joy

Comment

Hello Joy
                                  Hope you are OK
                                  xx
                                  They are driving me insane I have spent the whole afternoon again on them and got no where - the hours I have spent with this lot!!

Comment

Working...
                                  X