Never trust anything!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never trust anything!

I know we are all aware of the errors in parish records and bmd certs.

But this is great! I found a book in the Soc of Genealogists library called "Monumental Inscriptions in Lympanhoe churchyard" published in 1964. One of the inscriptions was for "Hannah Rebecca, wife of Robert Gray".

Robert Gray was my 2x gt uncle. Now I know that his wife was Anna Rebecca, that's how she is recorded in her baptism, marriage and on censuses, occasionally down as Ann, but never ever Hannah.

My Mum recently found a piece of card in which she had written inscriptions for Limpenhoe churchyard (never found any other reference to it as Lympanhoe).

Well yesterday I went to Limpenhoe and found the grave for myself and it very clearly says ANNA REBECCA.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

We tend to treat everything which is printed as gospel, but when people where not as educated as todays people's, you can forgive them not being sure how old they were in censuses for instance

Comment

Indeed James, but you'd think someone transcribing memorials could copy accurately what is on the gravestone - and spell the name of the village correctly as its written that way on road signs and at the church entrance. The book was done in 1964, not 1764!!!

Comment

I bet there were two people working at it - one reading the inscriptions and the other writing them down!!!!

Anne

Comment

Perhaps the Society of Genealogists might value its reputation enough to want the evidence to add that as an erratum in future editions? Altho' your wording suggests it's not an actual SoG publication, but just in their library.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

No, its not an SoG publication, I am sure they'd been more thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
              I bet there were two people working at it - one reading the inscriptions and the other writing them down!!!!

Anne
              Ditto Anne, a case of Chinese whispers maybe. ;)

Comment

Working...
              X