John ROGERS - Flint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John ROGERS - Flint

My ggg grandfather was John Rogers born about 1806 in Flint. He was married at least twice, once to a Mary who died about 1849. Then he married an Elizabeth Wynne in 1850. He may have had a wife before Mary. He was the millar at Oakenholt mill in 1851 and onwards. Does anyone have any info on him or his ancestors please?
    Thanks Yvonne

Yvonne

You can check in the Gedcom link on the tab at the top of the page to see if these names are in anyone's tree on FTF.

Where have you looked to find the marriages?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

If you haven't found this site, yet, you may find it worth a visit:
      GPM Gogledd Cymru - North Wales BMD

The 1850 marriage, for instance, shows as having taken place at St Mary's, Mold.
      There's also enough info there - including the local (as distinct from GRO) ref - to enable you to order a copy through the site.

Have you trawled the IGI and LDS pilot sites for other records?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That site does have other Flintshire marriages in that name, prior to 1850. Not necessarily yours, of course!

1848 ROWLANDS Margaret Connah's Quay, St Mark

1847 CHENEY Mary or HOSKINS Jane Mold, St Mary

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can see him in 1841 and 1861 but not 1851..
          Slaters Directory 1859 shows John Rogers as the Miller at Oakenholt and The National Archives, Access to Archives has has an item concerning John Rogers and the Mill..... it looks like some transaction through a solicitor, and the mill was converted to a Paper Mill in 1871

Comment

Hi to all

Thanks for all your help.
            Little Nell - have nothing on gedcom. Have got cert for the 1850 marriage.

Christine - Have got the 1850 marriage cert, have tried the IGI & LDS but no luck. The 1848 marriage to Margaret was his son's marriage and I've got that cert. I will try the North Wales BMD though.

Colin - I've now seen the slaters entry but couldn't find the entry in the National Archives. What did you put in for the search? I tried his name, the Mill, Oakenholt & Flint with no joy.

Thanks to you all for all your help, it's great to have others who are willing to help a novice like me!
            Yvonne

Comment

I am not too familiar with the National Archives but I put into Google " John Rogers Oakenholt Mill Flint " and one of the entries is National Archives and the ref I noted was DJWW 168 1849

Comment

Working...
              X