Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was my ggg grandfather born?

Hi,

My great great great Grandfather William Clifford was born in Ireland. I found this out from various certificates - marriages, births etc but I'm not sure where abouts in Ireland he was born and I can't further my search until I find it.

Does anyone know how I can find out where in Ireland he came from without actually going to Ireland?

Thanks,
    Cheryl.

I am not at all hot on Ireland but depending when he was born there are some census' that are available on line. I am sure if you look in the Wiki there will more information.
    Tessie

Comment

Cheryl,
      It is very difficult to find Irish records and if the name you have is fairly common even more so. I have the same problem with my grandparents who are from Belfast.
      Do you know if he is from the North or South? Was he Catholic or Protestant? all this can have a bearing on how successful you might be.
      A lot of Irish records were destroyed in a fire so it's often a case of having to peice things together from odd bits and snippets of information.
      The Wiki will certainly help.
      Margaret

Comment

He's was a Catholic and I think it was the north but I'm not 100% sure on that. I've found him on the 1851 Scottish Census but not the 1841 census so he may still have been in Ireland then, I don't even know his parents' names.

Comment

Don't his marriage and/or death certificates state his parents' names?
          The marriage and death certificates I've obtained from Scotland's People include the parents' names.
          Sarah

Comment

I didn't have his Death/Marriages, I found it out from his sons and a few census' but I have now found his wedding certificate of Scotlands People. His father was Edward Clifford and his Mother was Bridget Clifford (Trainer).
            I've found an Edward on LDS born in Fermanagh 1800 which could be him as my ggg grandfather was born in 1837, there is also a son listed on there as Patrick born 1824.

Comment

Keep in mind that coverage of Irish events on the IGI is very sketchy and there will have been many more Edward Cliffords who are not recorded in the IGI.

Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation brings up lots of births for William Clifford. This is a rather expensive pay-per-view site though, and coverage is not complete.

You may also find some useful links in the Wiki: Ireland - Family Tree Forum

But without knowing where in Ireland they came from, it's going to be very difficult. :o
              Sarah

Comment

I think it's Fermanagh, my mum said she remembers going to a farm when she was very very young to visit an aunt who had a farm in Fermanagh.

Comment

Working...
                X