I am soooo confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am soooo confused!

I went to Cantley Norfolk today and went round the churchyard and got confused.

I have a gt x 3 grandfather called John Dunt. He was born 1768 and died 1844. I have his death cert and also a burial register entry which shows he died 13 Nov and was buried 17 Nov. Found a grave for John Dunt, but this one died Sep 24, 1846, aged 63. I was sure he must be related - but I can't find him in 1841 census!

Equally baffling is the grave for Mary Dunt. I was unable to read most of it, and could only guess the date of death as 1818 (last digit definitely 8] because she does't fit any of the Dunt deaths I've found in Cantley burial registers.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 09-08-09, 00:18.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

The only John Dunt registered in 1846 is in Q/E Dec in Halstead (Essex). That could be this one

- Ancestry.co.uk

Perhaps he came from Cantley originally and was buried there because that's where his family was
    Jackie

Comment

Hi
      This is the reference for the Halstead one in 1841 in case you haven't found him. Piece 332; Book: 5 District: 10; Folio: 45; Page: 26; Line: 12
      There is burial for a Mary Dunt at Catley in 1848 on FreeREG. She was 83 & was from Norwich.
      Moggie

John Dunt buried Halstead 13th Nov 1846 age 68, so that eliminates him.
      Last edited by maudarby; 09-08-09, 10:02.

Comment

Thank you very much Night Owl and Maudarby.

I just wish I knew how these two fit in with my tree - it doesn't help that John and Mary are such common names!

It was also a shame that the grave I wanted to find is probably in the overgrown with impenetrable nettles bit of the graveyard.

Oh well.

Comment

Take the weed killer next time Nell!!!

Comment

Lol James! The overgrown bits are designated as "conservation areas" but I think judging from the gravestones they are mainly illegible now anyway. Shame.

Comment

Essentials for graveyards, weed killer,wellingtons, trousers, gloves, X.Ray photographs, hat with veil - for bees.

Comment

Lol, James. I'd look very fetching with that lot! Next time I might be better prepared, but I only had a limited amount of time or I would have missed lunch with you!

Comment

Working...
                X