Emigration to America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emigration to America

Thanks to Elaine's fantastic link for the free 1930 census, I think I have at last discovered what happened to a 'lost' relative.
    He is George Freestone (b1895) married to Henrietta and living in New York. His immigration is dated 1924, her immigration 1925 and their first born 1926.
    From this I assume they got married in USA (can't find any marriage in England), is there any way I could find out if they married in USA, and when and where?

Many thanks
    DGJay

A Gearge Freestone married in Kings County on 4/8/1924, but unfortunately the bride's name hasn't been transcribed:

NYC Grooms Index Results

Might be your man, but the date doesn't fit with Henrietta's immigration date.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-08-09, 22:55.

Comment

There's a record on the Ellis Island site for a George Freestone who travelled to the US in 1923, aged 28, British nationality, last address Bucharest, Romania. Could this be your man?

The passenger list image is online.

You need to register with the site, but it's free.

Ellis Island - FREE Port of New York Passenger Records Search

Comment

Just had a quick look at the passenger list - that George Freestone was a mechanic, single, birthplace Hornsey, and gave his next of kin as his father at 67 Villiers Road, London. In the column that asks whether he's going to join a relative or friend, he's just put "British Consul, New York".

Comment

George and Henrietta made several visits to the UK; you’ll find the details on the UK incoming passenger lists and New York passenger lists if you have Ancestry. He’s always shown as a mechanic or a chauffeur, which fits with the 1930 census occupation. George gives his date of birth as 24/6/1895, and Henrietta’s is 1/11/1890. They give various addresses in Kent, Essex and London as the places where they’ll be staying. Henrietta takes the children to Colchester in 1933, so perhaps that’s where her family lived.

George died in 1966:
          FamilySearch.org - Search

Comment

Mary
            You are an absolute treasure, that is him.
            Have now found him in the immigration as you said, as well.
            The address in Colchester is where his sister lived.

Thank you very much
            Thanks to you and Elaine thats another wall falling to pieces....
            DGJay

Comment

You're very welcome

By the way, you'll also find his naturalisation and WW2 draft card on Ancestry.

Comment

I tried to post this before, but FTF was undergoing maintenance, and it wouldn't let me!
                The SSDi gives this death info:
                GEORGE FREESTONE DoB: 24 Jun 1895 DoD: Sep 1966 age: 71 Last Residence: Spring Lake, Monmouth, NJ 07762 Last Benefit: (not specified) Issued By: New York SSN:075-12-7050
                You can apply for a copy of the social security number application - the SS5 - and it can give you lots of info.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

and thanks to Christine also...

have got most of what is available from the info above, but I have just realised I still have not got Henrietta maiden name. Any thoughts on how I could deduce that. The number of Henriettas born in the first quarter of 1890 seems to be unending.
                  DGJay

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about American genealogy.

Have a look at the Italiangen site where I found the groom's name - it may explain how to apply to King's County for the marriage cert.

Comment

One of the addresses that Henrietta gave was Welling, Kent. You could try looking for Henriettas in that area on the 1911 census.

Comment

Hi DgJay
                        Glad the post helped, was hoping to find my Frederick Moore but alas...
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

What a great idea from Mary.
                          Unbelievable, but there is only one Henrietta in Welling in 1911. Nothing concrete but another line to follow.
                          thank you both
                          DGJay

Comment

There are some possible NY Naturalization index records on Footnote for your FREESTONEs.
                            Naturalization Index - NY Southern Petitions

… Unknown » Freestone » Freestone, Henrietta » page

Immigrant Surname:
                            Freestone
                            Naturalization Index - NY Southern Petitions

… Unknown » Freestone » Freestone, George William » page

Immigrant Surname:
                            Freestone
                            You can't tell if they're yours. They both have the same NARA ref (M1676) and the Southern NY records go up to 1941, but there's no year showing - not on Quick Look, anyway. You may be able to get enough info to be able to apply for copies. On the other hand, altho' the date range for these records is supposed to run up to "mid 1900s" it's all ambiguous. The index is alphabetical, so similar refs for mid-1800s shouldn't mean that these are also mid-1800s. Hmmm. Difficult one, that!

(William, 1842, NYC, has ref M1674)

Christine
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-08-09, 21:21.
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

They're on Ancestry, registered in New York, both with the correct years of birth:

Geoge William Freestone, 24 July 1930
                              Henrietta Freestone, 14 December 1931

What's "Footnote"?

Comment

Ignore that question, I've just found it: Footnote - The place for original historical documents online .

Comment

I thought I'd seen those records on Ancestry - just couldn't see them!

Christine

Comment

Probably because George was misspelled - it took me a while to find it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                      Probably because George was misspelled - it took me a while to find it again.
                                      No. I meant I'd actually lost how to get the naturalization records to appear. I've found them now.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                      X