Help with Beadon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Beadon!

I am having trouble finding birth details for a relative whose christian names on her death certificate are shown as Elizabeth Mary Voller.

She had been married twice. On her marriage certificate in 1924 to her second husband her name is given as Elizabeth Mary Hockey and she is shown as a widow. She was 30 at the time of this marriage. Her father's name is shown as William Beadon.

I've looked at the 1911 census but the only Elizabeth Hockey who fits in with the age group has a father with the name of James Beadon and not William.

I would love to find out what happened to her first husband. Her last child with him was born in 1921 so you wouldn't have thought it would be that hard for me to find a death of someone called Hockey between 1921 and 1924but when I looked on Ancestry for this time period it brought up no deaths at all which can't be right. I would also like to find her birth details but again getting no where.

Am I being stupid? No don't answer that!!!!

I presume this is the first marriage -

FreeBMD - Search

Q/E Dec 1908 Elizabeth Mary Beadon and Albert George Hockey, St Olave

There is a death in Q/E March 1922 for Albert G Hockey aged 35 Camberwell - does this fit with his age?

FreeBMD - Search
    Jackie

Comment

Jackie

Isn't it strange that Ancestry didn't bring this info up for me. Sounds highly likely that this is the information I need.

Next task is to see if the Bishop of Bath and Wells, Richard Beadon really is my ancestor which would be ironic as I am the most unreligious person ever:p

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by hattie View Post
        Jackie

Isn't it strange that Ancestry didn't bring this info up for me. Sounds highly likely that this is the information I need.

Next task is to see if the Bishop of Bath and Wells, Richard Beadon really is my ancestor which would be ironic as I am the most unreligious person ever:p

Thanks for your help.
        :D:D

The death registers on Ancestry aren't fully digitised yet so the early deaths are the same as the ones on FreeBMD (I think Ancestry bought the transcriptions from them). FreeBMD is an ongoing project and Ancestry update from there every so often which is why the transcriptions after 1915 aren't on there yet.

Albert's death is on Ancestry but you have to look through the actual registers for that quarter to find him
        Jackie

Comment

Hattie

I happen to know that there is a big cluster of Beadons (and variants) around the Louth area of Lincolnshire. A friend has had great success researching his ancestors in that area.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you John. I have never actually met a living Beadon, but think there are a few in the West Country as well.

Comment

If Elizabeth Mary Beadon was 30 when she got married for the second time in Feb 1924 she had to have been born in either 1893 or 1894.

BUT

On her death certificate she was shown as 72 when she died in August 1961 which makes her birth year 1889.

The nearest birth details I can find for her on free bmd are

Beadon Elizabeth St. Saviour 1d 87

I suppose I am going to need to order a certificate for her first marriage to see what age that gives otherwise I'm having to guess which I don't want to do at the start of my tree!

Comment

Hattie.............death certs are the worst things for ages. Often the informant guesses.

A lot of people didn't even know their own age exactly so their family didn't have much hope of knowing.

4 or 5 years isn't that much in the scheme of things.

The marriage cert would be my first cert to order.

Comment

Working...
                X