1861 query plus military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 query plus military

In the 1861 census I have found a Thomas Crowder.According to the 1881 and the 1871 he was born in Hampshire in Kings Sombourne.In the 1871 he is a Serjeant Pensioner.
    The Thomas Crowder I have found in 1861 is about the right age,born in Hampshire,but although it starts with S doesn't look like Sombourne.
    He is described as an inmate and the transcription says "Military Moalding Depot St.Mary Barracks no.1" I presume that "moalding" should be "Holding".
    Why would he be described as an inmate and why were they,all from different regiments,being held?
    I could not see exactly where this place was.Be grateful if someone could look.
    RG9 480
    Thanks
    Fran

If I'm looking at the same one then I think he is born in Stockbridge, Hampshire
    - Ancestry.co.uk
    Elaine

Comment

Just checked google maps - distance between Kings Somborne and Stockbridge is 2.8 miles
      Elaine

Comment

If you look at the description of the Enumeration district I think it might say Military Invalidity Depot, St. Mary's Barrack no.1 - so possibly some sort of military hospital or home.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,
          Trouble was I didn't know how to find that information.I still don't know!I tried going backwards to find out more,but couldn't find a proper address or description of the premises

Comment

If you go to the Ancestry 1861 Census page
            1861 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

- and scroll down the screen - click on Kent - click on Gillingham
            You can then see the list of enumeration districts with a description link alongside.
            Click on the description link of Military Moalding Depot St.Mary Barracks no.1 and you can see the heading of Military Invalidity Depot, St. Mary's Barrack no.1
            Elaine

Comment

Just tried.Must remember that.Thank you.It looked like Invaliding to me.Anyway I presume that he was sick or injured,but would have expected him to be described as a patient.He must have retired from the army after that.
              fran

Comment

Serjeant pensioner, that means I think that he returned there to live, a bit like the Chelsea pensioners.....

Comment

Working...
                X