Death in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death in Australia

My cousin went to Australia under the £10 scheme. She died out there but I dont know what part she lived in. I want to find the date of death

Sorry I pressed the wrong button before I finished my post She died I think within the last 9 years her name was Marjorie L Henwood Any ideas please

Comment

What state in Australia did she die in?

Comment

That is my problem I have no idea
        I managed to find their flight out and they were going to Canberra

Comment

She's not listed on the Ryerson index, which lists newspaper obituaries since about 1970, but it mostly covers NSW.

Ryerson Index

Comment

Not listed in the Canberra cemetery index:

ACT Cemeteries - Grave Location Search

Comment

I'm afraid you're going to have trouble finding her, because none of the Australian states have recent deaths online (or certs available for purchase) for privacy reasons. NSW goes up to 1976 - I think that's the most recent. After that, you can only get a cert if you're the next of kin.

Many cemeteries have recent data online, but you'd need to know where she died.

Do you know of any relatives in Oz who are likely to be still alive?

Comment

Also was that her married name?

Comment

No rellies that I know the address for We lost touch
                  Thank you for your help I just wanted to put her in my tree as we were once close

Comment

If there are any living relatives, you could try having a look in the Aus phone book. Unfortunately people aren't listed by Christian name, only by initial.

whitepages.com.au - Search for an Australian Business, Government or Person

There are two Henwoods showing for ACT (Australian Capital Territory, ie. Canberra area).
                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-08-09, 11:55.

Comment

Have you looked on the Australian National Archives site?

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

They have some records for assisted passage migrants (my sister appears, for instance). If you're searching, using the "phrase" options, you put surname first, then firstname(s). It gives DoB and date of entry to Australia. My sister's hasn't been scanned yet, but you can request a scan. I don't know whether or not they'd do it, being relatively recent; they charge a fee.

I don't know what info would be in the document(s). It might give a destination address - that seems likely.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                        Sorry I pressed the wrong button before I finished my post She died I think within the last 9 years her name was Marjorie L Henwood Any ideas please
                        There is a Marjorie Lillian Henwood died aged 50 at Eden Hill (a suburb of Perth, Western Australia) but her d.o.d is 6 Oct 1989

http://www.mcb.wa.gov.au/default.php

Beverley

Comment

Doh! :o I hadn't spotted that the name had been posted.

She does show up on the assisted migration on the NAA, but, as she isn't first in the party, you will need to put the name in with "all words" not "phrase".

There were three people in the party which
                          travelled per aircraft departing UK on 12 February 1967 under the Assisted Passage Migration Scheme
                          Judging by the DoBs, it's Marjorie ((nee Burrell) born 6 November 1938) plus husband (born 23 September 1934) and daughter (born 29 October 1957).

I note that the NAA DoB for Marjorie ties in with that DoD in Perth. It's young.

Christine
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            She does show up on the assisted migration on the NAA, but, as she isn't first in the party, you will need to put the name in with "all words" not "phrase".
                            Ah, no wonder I couldn't find her! I've learned something there.

Comment

Her husband died in 2005 (se the link that Bev gave).

Comment

mary i went on the link for ryerson index and found the death notices for four people from my tree !! how do you all know where to get these links??!!

Comment

I think most of them are posted in the Wiki, ragdollsophie. Any time someone finds a useful url, they add it into the relevant country/county section.The link I posted is local to me and I use it all the time....just tried it on the off chance that Golden Oldie's death took place in W.A

Beverley

Comment

I dont know how to thank you all. This is my cousin and her husband is a bonus
                                    Sorry the date that I gave was so far out

Comment

For anyone who missed it, there's a guide to Australian and NZ research in the magazine, in addition to all the links posted in the Wiki:

FTF Magazine June 2009

Comment

Working...
                                      X