Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree: need help please

Hello

I have been trying to find out about my mum's father's side of the family. I have found out his parents names and the year they were born.
    I also found out his mother's maiden name, year of death and year of marriage and where they were both born.

I can't seem to find either of their birth certificates though as i don't know their parents names. How do i go about this? i would really like to go back a few more generations.

hello scorpio..

welcome to FTF!

firstly, if you post the names and dates of the people that you want to identify then that might help.

ie: name dob and pob and if you have got them back to 1901/1911 census would help
    Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 08-08-09, 00:07.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you for the welcome!

David Rees Born in Neath in c.1878

married to Sarah Ellen Rees (maiden name Hughes) Born in Liverpool in c.1874

do you need anymore info?

Comment

Hi Scorpio

If i'm reading things correctly it's your great grandparents you are now looking at?

Do you have your grandfathers birth cert at all, just to confirm the maiden name of your great grandmother along with any information about your great grandparents marriage?
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Hi Scorpio

If I understand you correctly, you have found the marriage year for David and Sarah Ellen.

If you order their marriage cert, that will give you their ages at marriage (if they told the truth, lol) and their father's names.

OC

Comment

I know my great grandparents names. David and Sarah Ellen Rees. I'm looking for sarah and David's parents...but mainly Sarah's.

I have my grandfathers birth certificate.
            All it says about his mother on it is that her name is Sarah Ellen Rees formerly Hughes.

I have her death certificate
            In 1921 she was 47 years old. She died on 11th august 1921

I also found them on the 1911 census which stated she was born in liverpool

I would like to know about sarah's parents

I do not know where they were married, When i got her death certificate i asked them to check the marriage certificate but they could not find it at neath registrar so i do not know where they would have been married

They were married c 1896
            Last edited by scorpioleah; 08-08-09, 00:30.

Comment

Having a look at freebmd i can't see a marriage for Sarah to David, based on the age at death then as you say she would be born around 1874.

Going on the Liverpool reference it's probably going to mean her birth would be registered in the West Derby Registration District or possibly Birkenhead, unfortunately there are several possible matches on freebmd but none in 1874 what results there are for her name are either slightly earlier or slightly later.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Where would i find their marriage certificate?

is it possible to find it if you dont know where they got married?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                  Having a look at freebmd i can't see a marriage for Sarah to David, based on the age at death then as you say she would be born around 1874.

Going on the Liverpool reference it's probably going to mean her birth would be registered in the West Derby Registration District or possibly Birkenhead, unfortunately there are several possible matches on freebmd but none in 1874 what results there are for her name are either slightly earlier or slightly later.

hm, thats not a good start is it:o

this is the 1911 census i found of them

Welcome Scorpio. Sorry, have had to delete your image from your post. Please do not post the full page of a census or certificate as it violates copyright. You can however crop the image and post the relevant handwritten part. I've cropped the image to show what I mean but only added it via the paperclip facility, which means the image is very small - click on it to make it slightly larger so that you can see what I have done. You might like to do the same and add the image again via photobucket. Thanks, Elaine (Admin)

CENSUS cropped.jpg

Comment

Hello....Welcome to FTF.

I had a look on Ancestry and can't find the marriage between 1890 and 1905.

However, it could have been mistranscribed.

I wonder if the "Hughes" name on the birth cert may be Sarah's maiden name and she'd been married previously, so we'd be looking for another name.

Comment

do you mean the "hughes" name being a previous married name and not her maiden name?

is there any hope for me at all? or is this a dead end?

Comment

Have you found them in 1901???

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioleah View Post
                          do you mean the "hughes" name being a previous married name and not her maiden name?

That's what I meant.

Don't you ever think there is no hope......lol
                          Somebody will find them.

It's a very, very, very long story (and I dare not ever mention it here again) but this lot found a missing family member for me after years of searching.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                            Hello....Welcome to FTF.

I had a look on Ancestry and can't find the marriage between 1890 and 1905.

However, it could have been mistranscribed.

I wonder if the "Hughes" name on the birth cert may be Sarah's maiden name and she'd been married previously, so we'd be looking for another name.
                            I'm wondering that.

I have tried a couple of different searches,

eg

David Rees to Sarah

David Rees to Sarah Ellen

both are giving results but none of the Sarah entries are in the name of Hughes

I then tried;

Sarah Ellen Hughes to David

Sarah Hughes to David

again there are results but none are coming back to a David Rees

In theory they should be together as man and wife in the 1901, shades of my grandparents creeping into this one, claiming to be married but no record exists (mind you granny could fib for England when she wanted to and probably forgot my grandad wasn't HER hubby :D).

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

LOL...Glen

Shades of my granny as well. I did find her marriage though..........the year I was born...lol

What year was the son born????

Comment

william samuel rees was born 13th febuary 1910

he had 3 older sisters

Minnie Rees - age 14
                                Elizebeth Ellen Rees - age 10
                                Nelline Rees - age 8 in 1911

Comment

Originally posted by scorpioleah View Post

Don't ever give up, mine is a long story too but the abridged version is from not even knowing my birth name four years ago i now know that i have at least 15 half siblings, a lead on a few more.

My granny did marry twice, she just happened to have kids with my grandad and forgot to walk him up the aisle as she was "between husbands" shall we say.

If i dip out of this a bit it's mainly due to lack of census access, i'm limited to playing with freebmd for now.
                                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 08-08-09, 01:06.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

im sure this is my g-grandfather on the 1901 census

but i cant access it, im only a member of ancestry

edit: it hasnt shown up on that like

i entered David Rees, 1878, Neath

Comment

Can't find them in 1901 in either England or Wales.

I found this absolutely rank outsider of a marriage, lol:

Jun 1903
                                      Sarah Hughes
                                      to David REES Davies
                                      Merthyr Tyd 11a 1195.

OC

Comment

Well you did better than I did. I got nothing there.

Comment

Working...
                                        X