Census lookup please, '71 and possibly later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census lookup please, '71 and possibly later

I have found a marriage on freebmd and freereg, just wondering if anyone can pull up the details for the family please (pob etc)?

Marriages Dec 1866
    -----------------------

Jessup Abraham Sleaford 7a 899
    GULSON Elizabeth Sleaford 7a 899

Freereg shows a bit more detail, the marriage was at Heckington, Lincs, 23/10/1866.

Abraham recorded as aged 25, occ Engine driver
    Elizabeth aged 20
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

This seems to be the closest match, Glen.
    RG10 Piece 3393A Folio 66 Page 6

Rookery lane, Toynton All Saints Lincs.
    Abraham Jessup 28 Head Ag. lab. Marehem le Fen LIncs.
    Elizabeth Jessup 25 Wife Ewerby Lincs.
    (separate household)
    Mary Jessup. wid. 61 Cottager Wragby Lincs.

If that's him, life as an engine driver didn't last long.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John

I think she might fit in with another request i posted a while ago thanks to the Ewerby place and a freereg update. Still not sure she is one of mine as i'm missing a generation somewhere but doubtless i'll find it one day.

-----

1851 Heckington

Thomas Gulson born abt.1821 birth place given as Anwick, Lincolnshire.

Wife Mary, children George 5, Elizabeth 3 and John 2.

Also living with them is a Mary Vere 57 born Heckington.

HO107; Piece: 2101; Folio: 156; Page: 11

-----

Baptisms, Ewerby, Lincs. All show Father Thomas and Mother Mary

29 Aug 1847
      Elizabeth Gulson and also George Gulson

29 Mar 1844 William Gulson

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

The Lincs FHS marriages database for Sleaford:
        Year ~Mth_Day ~Groom Surname ~Groom Forename ~Groom's father ~Bride Surname ~Bride Forename ~Bride's father ~Parish
        1866 ~23-Oct ~Jessop ~Abraham ~William ~Goulson ~Elizabeth ~Blank ~Heckington

Christine

PS - there's this marriage with conflicting surname spellings:
        1843 ~16-May ~Gullson ~Thomas John GOULSON ~Vear ~Mary ~George ~Heckington

which might explain the discrepancy between the GRO index and this database. It looks as if the GOULSON surname was spelled pretty randomly, even within a single registration of a marriage.
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-09, 22:19.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
          The Lincs FHS marriages database for Sleaford:
          Year ~Mth_Day ~Groom Surname ~Groom Forename ~Groom's father ~Bride Surname ~Bride Forename ~Bride's father ~Parish
          1866 ~23-Oct ~Jessop ~Abraham ~William ~Goulson ~Elizabeth ~Blank ~Heckington

Christine

PS - there's this marriage with conflicting surname spellings:
          1843 ~16-May ~Gullson ~Thomas John GOULSON ~Vear ~Mary ~George ~Heckington

which might explain the discrepancy between the GRO index and this database. It looks as if the GOULSON surname was spelled pretty randomly, even within a single registration of a marriage.

The surname variant is causing me headaches Christine.
          I have instances of the surname as Goulson and Gulson at Heckington but can't link them together as branches the same (or extended) family. They should overlap datewise but i'm missing a crucial baptism somewhere to sort out the relationships.

The 1843 marriage also produced a son recorded with three versions of his forename across bmd, census and pr's.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Yes - I have a similar situation with the GAR(D)[I/E]N[E/A]R variations. It seems to settle down as GARDNER, in the end, but the early records are seriously confusing! I think I've got a logical arrangements of names/events - but I certainly wouldn't like to have to depend on my thesis.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I must admit the name variant hasn't really been a problem until recently but this one is bugging me.

Then two family groups appear in the village but at slightly different times and the name variant comes about. I can't link them (one lot has baptisms up to about 1795 and burials a few years later, the other lot are the Thomas 1843 marriage family).

The only thing i can say is that the various branches of the familiies all seem to be found in small geographical patches and it's possible to follow them over a long period but these two groups suddenly appear in what seems to be a new part of the county for the name.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
              X