Wells Somerset GRO lookup please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wells Somerset GRO lookup please

I am looking for my gggrandmothers maiden name and was wondering if anyone lived near or is going to a county office and could look up her marriage. Her name was Tamsen Mary or Mary Tamsen (one census she was Tamsen and the next Mary). She married a William Reid (Reed Read?) in Wells Somerset somewhere between 1820 and 1828. I'm sorry I can't make it any closer than that. I would be so grateful if someone could remove this brickwall I've been banging my head against for years, and having her parents names would be a bonus too. Thank very much!
    Last edited by Debbie; 07-08-09, 19:43.

Debbie

Civil registration didn't start till 1837, so it is the County RECORDS Office you want, not the GRO (which doesn't have county branches, other than local Register Offices).

However, unless you have some idea of where the couple married, it does mean a long slog for someone through all the parish registers for the area.

Have you tried the IGI?

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, that's what I should have written. And yes I checked IGI, but it wasn't there, only the birth of their daughter in 1829. They were married in Wells, Somerset.

Comment

Debbie

what is the name of the daughter b. 1829 @ Wells, please.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Catherine

Comment

Debbie

can you give me a census link to work from, I am finding it abit difficult to find anything.
            Julie

Comment

I dont have one, sorry. That is why I've been having such trouble finding her last name. Tamsen was widowed and remarried George Westcott around 1835. I was hoping someone who lived in the area could maybe go to the county office and see if there was a marriage for her and William.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                I dont have one, sorry. That is why I've been having such trouble finding her last name. Tamsen was widowed and remarried George Westcott around 1835. I was hoping someone who lived in the area could maybe go to the county office and see if there was a marriage for her and William.

I think we are at crossed wires here I meant a census for mary/tamsen, that would possibly help shed some light on the situation.
                Julie

Comment

in the 1841 census she is married to somone else and shortly after she came to Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie View Post
                    in the 1841 census she is married to somone else and shortly after she came to Canada.
                    Do you have her on ANY census, be it Canadian OR English at all,

How do you know she was married at Wells?

How do you know that the daughter b.1829 is at Wells..

Do you have Tamsons Death cert from 1895? at all in Thorah is it? if thats the right one.
                    Julie

Comment

Julie

Here we go:

Catharine Reed bp 12 August 1829, St Cuthbert, Wells, Somerset.

Parents William Reed and Thomasin Reed.

No other children shown under the same batch number.

St Cuthbert records are available through your local LDS centre, Debbie. You can order the film and go through it for marriages. The cost of this has recently risen to £7, but still cheaper than a trip to Somerset, lol.

Of course, they may not have married there, may not have married at all in fact....

OC

Comment

thank you I have seen that, Iam trying to get tamsen's maiden name though

Comment

Debbie

Her maiden name will be in the marriage register, which you can look at for yourself through the LDS.

If they didn't marry there, you will have to widen your search to neighbouring parishes, really tedious but has to be done.

OC

Comment

There is a Mary Thomasine Andrews listed (b 19 June 1792, Chr. 19 October 1813) with parents Garland Andrews & Sarah. This is on Hugh Wallis site for Grove Lane Independant Chapel in Wells.

It just caught my eye as Thomasine is sometimes listed as Tamsin.

There is also a sister, Susanna (b 2 March 1794) and Christened on the same day.

Don't know if this will help or hinder though ;)
                            My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

OC I've been on LDS and there is no record for their marriage. That is why I was hoping someone living in or near Wells could go to the county office. Sue, thanks for the look up, but my Tamsin was born aroun 1802.

Comment

Working...
                              X