No announcement yet.

How to tell which Charles is 'mine'???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell which Charles is 'mine'???

Hi

I am tracing my MIL's family tree and have got to Henry Treadwell born, c 1849 in Leamington. He was married to Margaret Hindmarsh Foster, born Gateshead or Durham.

I know from his marriage certificate that his father was Charles and, using the census returns on ancestry and IGI, I can see that there are 2 Henry Treadwell's born in the Warwick area to 2 different Charles Treadwell's - one Charles is married to a Caroline (census returns) and one Charles is married to a Sarah Ann Hudson (IGI). The Henry Treadwell who is the son of Charles and Sarah Ann is listed in the 1861 census as living/staying with his grandmother - Hannah Hudson - in Leamington, while the other is listed along with his parents and siblings.

I can only find one birth record for a Henry Treadwell, so that could be either of them as Leamington came under the Warwick area for BMD's. My question is - how do I find out which Henry is 'mine' ? There doesn't seem to be any other clues that I can find in the census returns ... Am I missing something ...?

Many thanks in advance.
    :D Charney Jo

I think you are going to have to order the birth certificate to know for sure.

does the occupation of either Charles on the census match the occupation on henry's marriage certificate?
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

The biggest clues you might find from the marriage cert are occupation of father and names of witnesses. Is a named witness possibly a sibling or relative of the bride or groom? Does the name of either witness apear in the census with or living close by to the bride or groom?

That's the sort of thing that could really help to work out which is which. Also a will or probate record in the name of a parent to the couple which is later than the marriage may name the couple or make reference to them.
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
      My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
      My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks both.

On the marriage cert (dated 1866, Register Office, Newcastle) Charles's occupation is listed as "Cook in Hotel" like his son.

The witnesses are Alice Forster and S.W. Young. The name Young doesn't mean much to me at the moment but I will keep digging ...

I can't seem to find Charles and Sarah Ann in the 1861 census (might post on here again later if I still can't...!) It looks like they both died, at different times, in 1868 in Newcastle (not sure what they were doing there but their son did marry someone from Newcastle ...!). Both children, Henry and Sarah Ann, were staying with their maternal grandmother.

Thanks - you have given me the pointers I need to keep looking.

Many thanks!!

Comment

Post '61 in case you don't have the index details.

Deaths Sep 1868 (>99%)
          --------------------------
          Treadwell Charles 41 Newcastle T. 10b 50

Deaths Dec 1868 (>99%)
          ---------------------------
          Treadwell Sarah Ann 41 Newcastle T. 10b 56

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Marriage of Charles to Sarah

Marriages Sep 1848 (>99%)
            -----------------

Edwards Anne Warwick 16 671
            Hudson Sarah Warwick 16 671
            Hutchings William Warwick 16 671
            Jones Eliza Warwick 16 671
            READ Anne Warwick 16 671
            STONE John Warwick 16 671
            Treadwell Charles Warwick 16 671
            WYATT Joseph Warwick 16 671

There are two possible entries for a birth in 1849, both have different page numbers but checking the scans shows one (pg 628) could easily be misread

Births Jun 1849 (>99%)
            ----------------------------------------------

TREADWELL Henry Warwick 16 620
            TREADWELL Henry Warwick 16 628

Warwick and Leamington were in the same reg district until 1932, given that there are records for Charles, Sarah and Henry in the north east i would suggest that the best thing to do is ask the Warwick registrars to supply a birth cert for...

Henry Treadwell, born 1849, father Charles (or variants) Treadwell and mother Sarah or Sarah Ann(e) in the Warwick reg district.

If they can't find a match you wouldn't be charged and if there is a match you don't pay extra for the parents names as a checking reference. An order to the GRO will cost you more with a ref check and if they can't issua a cert you only get a part refund.
            Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 07-08-09, 14:49.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen

Thanks for the death references. I had seen them and was curious what they died of - so close together and so young. (Except I don't want to pay for the certs if they are not "mine").

Thanks also for the info on the Henry birth cert. I always go through the GRO (I'm a bit scared of ordering locally - don't know why!) so it's good to hear that I should!

Comment

The surname is strongly connected to the Warwick area so to find Henry, Charles and Sarah entries appear so far away and around the same timeframe (1866 marriage for Charles and the two deaths in 1868) seems to much of a co-incedence.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen

I agree. Someone else is researching the same line and have a tree on ancestry. They have Charles and Caroline as Henry's parents but something just didn't ring true for me ... I guess that's what happens when you just see that there is a Henry, born at the right time, living with his parents and don't look for any other obvious posibilities ... I think that's why I ind the research quite hard at times - I really have to convince myself that even the most obvious link is correct.

Many thanks again for your help. Now, if you fancy trying to find Charles and Sarah in the 1861 census for me ... ;)

Comment

If i had a sub i would have a bash for you, seeing as they don't come up through an obvious search they are either mis-indexed, mistranscribed or given that in the 1860's were up north just possibly in Scotland (unlikely though).

I would head down the route of looking for them by christian name only or variants of Treadwell, use wildcards in the search and possibly trawling through the Leamington images one by one too.

I have a few chaps with names like George and Charles that are recorded as Geo. and Chas for example so it might be worth looking at any of those you may find too.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks Glen. I am usually not very good with variants (someone found my "Seal" (mis)transcribed as "Ceal" ... wouldn't have occurred to me! Think I will have to spend the afternoon on ancestry now searching ... not a hardship - as long as my baby allows me (luckily his daddy is off work on hols at the mo so can keep him occupied!)

Comment

Glen

Thanks agaon for the suggestions. I just changed Treadwell to a wildcard search ("TRE*") and it came up with a Charles and Sarah Ann TredWICK living in a Northumberland hotel. He was a Cook, born in Kenilworth and Sarah was a Cook from Kenilworth. Reckon that must be them and they must be the correct parents of "my" Henry.

Thank you so much. It's all so obvious - until it's your problem (a screaming 7 month old demanding attention doesn't help!!)
                        Last edited by Charney Jo; 07-08-09, 15:41.

Comment

I'm usually pretty good at giving little prods in the right direction but as you say, it's so much easier when it's someone else with the query.

I haven't got the screaming child problem but the neighbour has been running round with a petrol mower at full revs for half an hour and his lawn is about the size of a postage stamp!!

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ha, ha - that's what my husband was doing (probably why my 7 month old was moaning!) Excellent, now I can order the death certs and see why/how they both died at 41.

Thanks again for all your help!

Comment

Working...
                            X