Which nationality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which nationality?

Am I correct in thinking that if someone was born in America (1902, to Scottish parents) they would be registered as a US citizen?

I have found records and family papers which give US/Scottish/British nationality to this person and am slightly confused as to which side of the Atlantic I should be looking..

thank you

I don't know the US laws of citizenship but would GUESS the child had dual nationality. A British child takes its nationality from its father. as far as Britain is concerned.

OC

Comment

OC
      Thank you

Comment

Do you know whether they stayed in America or came back to Britain? Have you looked in the 1920 US census on Ancestry (people with enhanced subscriptions can view the images). A simple name/birth search could throw up some likely candidates.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Uncle John
          I've got three definite crossings of the Atlantic (1907/1912/1913 - nationality Scottish), 1910 US census - pob Hoboken NJ, and a British passport with pob Hoboken NJ.
          Will check on the 1920 census - haven't looked at that, thank you for the suggestion.
          thank you

Comment

Working...
          X