Amelia Ann Goodwin born about 1770

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amelia Ann Goodwin born about 1770

This lady died in NSW Australia in Campbeltown in 1834. She married a John Goodwin in England in what I'd guess to be before 1800 but I don't think that Goodwin was her maiden name, unless she married a cousin. The only marriage that seems to fit was in Hampshire in 1776 in which case she was an Amelia Clark, but her estimated birth date would have to be 10 years out and I can't read the entries in Pallots to verify.

She then seemed to have emigrated to Australia on unassisted passage, married a James Rixon and had 15 children (poor woman), when James died, she married Robert Burrows in 1816 and seems to have had further child Robert.

Could some kind person help me with this please MTIA.

How old was she when she died?

just thinking out loud here....
    Married Robert Burrows in 1816 and seems to have had further child Robert.So assume that she was aged 50 max- even that is generous)
    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
      How old was she when she died?

just thinking out loud here....
      Married Robert Burrows in 1816 and seems to have had further child Robert.So assume that she was aged 50 max- even that is generous)
      I don't know Jess, I don't even know whereabouts in England she was originally from. Setting sailing to/from Port Talbot in 1800 is rather vague. Was the Speedy a mission ship for the convicts, or was John already dead?

Just checked it wasn't her that had the fifteen children, it was a descendent of hers, her six Rixon children were born between 1802-1810, therefore I'd say its possible she is the mother of Robert Burrows Jnr too and that would have made her younger than 50ish.
      Last edited by LorraineJ; 07-08-09, 08:24.

Comment

Just Googled the Speedy, there was an Ann Goodwin that was transported to Australia in 1800 on the Speedy. Is this one and the same woman? Ann Goodwin was tried in Maidstone, Kent in 1799 - if it is and the birth estimate is right, she would only have been 9. Was John Goodwin her father and the marriage is wrong?

Comment

if she was a convict, you should be able to find her records. i dont have convict ancestors, so i dont know how to access nsw ones, though i do know the tasmanina ones are online.

Comment

I don't know whether out of descency she dropped Amelia as a name. When she married James Rixon she called herself Amelia Ann Goodwin. There was an Ann Goodwin transported to Australia but on the other hand there is also a record for an Amelia Ann Goodwin going to Australia as an unassisted passage and I don't know which is which.

Comment

James Hickson alias Rixon & Amelia Ann Goodwin

Lorraine,

This is the direct link to info on James, Amelia and descendants.
              Amelia's age varies but it is assumed that she was born abt 1770 and was abt 64 years of age when she died. Convicted at Maidstone. James Hickson convicted April 1792 Derby...convict aboard the Barwell 1798.

Assuming this is the Amelia Ann Goodwin you are looking for, this will help you a great deal.

James Rixon and Amelia Goodwin jamesobrien.id.au
              Last edited by rubyangels; 15-08-09, 23:20.

Comment

Originally posted by rubyangels View Post
                Lorraine,

This is the direct link to info on James, Amelia and descendants.
                Amelia's age varies but it is assumed that she was born abt 1770 and was abt 64 years of age when she died. Convicted at Maidstone. James Hickson convicted April 1792 Derby...convict aboard the Barwell 1798.

Assuming this is the Amelia Ann Goodwin you are looking for, this will help you a great deal.

James Rixon and Amelia Goodwin jamesobrien.id.au
                Think it could well be the right one, as Maidstone rings a big bell when it comes to her conviction, coupled with other information I have found. Couldn't find any British information about him at all. Do you have any idea what either of them did to warrant their transportation, as it seems in those days they transported people for the sin of being hungry!

Have read the article now and bookmarked the link, explains so much.
                Last edited by LorraineJ; 16-08-09, 12:12.

Comment

Amelia & James Convictions

Lorraine,

I can certainly help also with their convictions. Also have his transportation details from your National Archives and I will email you that also if you like.

Now it is assumed he was born Ilkeston Derby, but Hickson's didn't arrive there until much later.He may have been a carpenter, but certainly was a tradesman. My cousin and I are of the thought that he may have been working there at the time. The links I gave you will have all the details as there are many many descendants of James and Amelia here in Australia and all are working hard to provide as much on them as possible.
                  I have a photo of 2 of Benjamin's brothers, James, my 4xgreat grandfather and his other triplet and of Henry his older brother which I will send to you also.

James Hickson alias Reckson and Rixon
                  At the Lent Assizes 19 Mar 1792, the Derby Mercury reported the arrival of Sir Alexander Thomson, Kt., one of the Barons of his Majesty’s court of Exchequer, to hold the county assizes. There were only four prisoners, including James Hickson aged 22 who was “Charged on the oath of William Reed on Suspicion of privately stealing out of his Box in the House of William Webster, of Ilkeston, on Monday the 24th of October last, the Sum of Nine Guineas”. The sentence “To be hang’d” was commuted to Life imprisonment.

More info on the James O'brien link under Genealogy/James & Amelia

Amelia Ann Goodwin
                  Sometime between 1798 and 1801, James Rixon met Amelia Goodwin, also a convict.
                  Amelia Goodwin was also born in 1770 and her first marriage was to John Goodwin. When convicted she was 29 years old and living at Greenwich, England.
                  Aged 29, she was charged with the theft from her employer of a large number of clothing and household items. According to the court record the value of the goods was 39-shillings, but Joye Walsh the listed goods far exceeded that amount. Amelia Goodwin was tried at Maidstone, Kent, found guilty of the offence on July 15, 1799 and sentenced to 7 years transportation. She is referred to in the court documents as Amy.
                  Again more on James site.

You are right about the sentencing in those days, I have an Irish convict that was out here for stealing 2 blankets to keep her children warm. she was supposed serve three months in Limerick gaol but pleaded to be transported for 7 years instead.. Having said that we have also found that sometimes these poor souls actually committed crimes so they would be transported to Australia. In those days they would at least know where their next meal was coming from. They must have been desperate.

If any of this and info on the links helps to find either of them England please let me know...it is hard tracing them over there as I am sure you would understand with finding some information here.

Cheers for now
                  Leanne

Comment

Lorraine,
                    Photos and doc on their way. Could you please let me know if you receive them ok.
                    Cheers
                    Leanne

Comment

Safely received ok Leanne and thank you.

My grandfather always said that twins ran in the family and until recently I could only find one pair, I think he had to have known of the family link, as in your branch of the family they seem to be fairly numerous. Also the genes had to be really strong, as I can see more than a passing resemblance to living or recently passed relatives on my side and yet the relationship is a very much sideways on thing.

As for the judge that convicted Hickson, I am going to have to do some digging round as my maiden name was Thomson. Unlikely, but it would be really strange if he turned out to be my ancestor too.

As for your offer of sending me info from the National Archives, yes please.

Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X