how do i preserve these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do i preserve these?

im not sure if this will belong here, or might have more to do with photo's. i have some bits and pieces i want to preserve for posterity, but am unsure of how.

1) a doctor's note from 1900. it says that my 3rd great grandfather ronald matheson, has to vaccinise my uncle andrew donald. it is dated 8th nov 1900.
    it is a thin almost tissue like paper. browned around the edges. how do i preserve it?

2) some thick cardboard photo's from the 1860's-1902. how do i show them off? obviously i cant put them in a photo album, but how do i display them? put them in photo frames? how does everyone display them?

3) a thin cardboard, very thin almost like paper, memorial card. it is slightly larger than a4 paper, and is folded, and torn, and creased. it is from 1904, when my great great grandfather's little sister died age 6, from being smothered by oats. how do i stop this from being damaged further?

i would think maybe laminating 1 and 3 would work, but i think that would damage them. am i right?

I think the best way of preserving these things is in acid-free pockets, or other acid-free archiving materials (acid-free paper, acid-free boxes). This type of thing:
    Archival supplies - photo storage boxes, archival boxes - acid free storage
    Acid Free Boxes, Envelopes Rolls Storage, Vacuum Packing, Archival Plastic Film, Audio Cans Cloth Covered Boxes, Ringbinder Systems, Polyester & Polypropylene Storage
    Certificate pockets

As for displaying the photos, I would make good-quality scans of them and print (either at home or have them printed professionally) and display those, and store the originals (in an acid-free environment) for safekeeping.

Don't laminate as that will damage the photos/documents!
    Sarah

Comment

Do NOT laminate them.......

Not sure exactly what you do with them, but I know you shouldn't laminate them.

Have you tried googling??? There might be something on the Library sites. You state library will have an archivist who should be able to tell you.

Comment

thank you for those links, i will take a look. i know not to laminate, but was just a thought really. thank you for that libby.
        Last edited by kylejustin; 07-08-09, 10:44.

Comment

Hi Kyle

I found this site quite helpful in the past for doing what you ask about

Preserving Old Photos and Documents

I also asked a local history photographer and at the history library.
          WendyP

Comment

thank you for that wendy, im in the middle of it now.

Comment

That looks like a very informative site. Thanks Wendy!
              Sarah

Comment

Working...
              X