a tiny photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a tiny photo

it may be a small time to actually scan this, if what i'd want can be done at all.

my 5th great grandmother mary matheson died in 1903. she was 90. at her funeral, there were death cards, with her name, death date, a small poem or excerpt from the bible, and a small picture of her.

the picture is 4 and a half cm long and 4 cm wide at its widest part. the picture is faded. if i could scan the card, would someone be able to blow up the picture? or would that best be done at a photo shop?

I'd certainly give it a go if you like but the more blown up it is the more the quality will dissipate. No harm in trying though. I'm sure other peeps would be happy to try too. :D

If we all fail then you could still try a photo shop.

Edit: Please scan at the highest resolution that you can.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-09, 06:58.

Comment

If you scan it at a high resolution it is usually possible to enlarge it quite a bit from the original size. Try 600 dpi to start with, and if the results aren't good enough you could then try a higher resolution. I've got lots of scans of little cartes de visites (about credit card size), which scanned at 600 dpi look very clear when viewed at a size filling up my monitor.
      I've also had a scan of a postcard-sized photo printed at A4 size for framing, which turned out beautifully.

This is the case for actual photographs. Scans of photographs in newspapers, books, etc. usually won't be as good, because the copy of the photograph on newspaper is not as good as on photo paper.
      Last edited by Cloggie; 07-08-09, 07:04.
      Sarah

Comment

thanx for the replies. it may be a while, because id have to get my aunt to do it, and send it to me first before i could post it. ill definently give it a go though.

Comment

this is the picture. is anyone able to get a better image of mary? maybe play with the lighting etc? i dont mind it being blown up any more, just if anyone could it make her clearer?

Comment

That's still come up very small. Can you scan at a higher resolution and/or select a higher upload size on Photobucket? (max. file size is 1 MB for a free account)
            Sarah

Comment

my aunt tried her best to scan it as good as she could.she couldnt enlarge the picture much. and i think the size of the pic is the actual size of the card. i might have to take it to a professional shop.

Comment

Is the photo you've posted the same size (at 100%) as what you received from your aunt, and have you uploaded it to Photobucket at the maximum size setting (1 MB for a free account)? If so, unfortunately the scan is too small.

If it's scanned at a high enough resolution, the resulting image will be larger than the original. In other words, you can zoom in without pixellation.
                The scan will be an enlargement of the original photo, but you can't zoom in to more than 100% of the scan itself without distorting/pixellating the image.

So for the photo as you have posted it - that's as large as it can be (already 100%) and zooming in will cause pixellation/disortion. What you want is to get a large scan of the photo, not just a sharp scan at the same size. Does that make sense?

I've scanned very small photos and slides and been able to enlarge them with good results - but they need to be scanned at a high enough resultion - I would try at least 600 dpi, higher if possible.
                Sarah

Comment

i do understand what your saying, and i have seen daguerreotypes, this same aunt has one of her husbands father. they had it blown up professionally, it looks wonderful.

the picture is the same size as the one she sent me. she did take a shot at the actual picture of mary and printed it off. i tried to take a photo before, but it didnt work. i didnt think to take one of the card though, zooming in on mary.......might work. i dont have a working scanner you see, so i would have to sit down with my uncle to do the technical side of things, to get the best scan. i hope it wont take months like it has already!

Comment

Hopefully you are able to get a better (larger) scan. It does look like the picture could be improved by adjusting the contrast/lighting and a few touch-ups. :smilee:
                    Sarah

Comment

i agree. i think it would be great if i could it scanned properly. she looks like a porcelain doll in that photo.

Comment

Instead of scanning at a higher resolution, I always opt for increasing the scale and keeping the res at 300.

For tiny pics this works extremely well

example ....
                        The original photograph of this street scene measures 3 and one eighth inches wide
                        (7.317 centimetres)

Don't remember how much I increased the scale but the scan is 78 MBs (that's quite large !)

Here's a close-up of the cottages

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 24-11-09, 14:00.
                        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

It depends on the scanning software you're using whether you have the option of increasing the scale or not.

For example, my Canon scanner comes with MP Navigator and ScanGear MP.

With MP Navigator, I can select the resolution and the document size (or have it auto-detect the document size).

With ScanGear MP, I can select paper size, output resolution and output size. I think "output size" may be the same as what Rachel's software calls "scale".

I can also scan directly in Photoshop using either ScanGear MP or Microsoft's WIA driver, but only the resolution can be changed in WIA - there are no size/scale options.
                          Sarah

Comment

Hmmmmm ~ I scan in Photoshop

ie ... Launch Photoshop and go to 'File >Import'

see my OH's diagram in the 'How to scan' section

*wonders if any of this is helpful* :o
                            Last edited by Rachel Scand; 24-11-09, 15:46.
                            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Yes, I can scan in Photoshop too, but it's quicker just to launch the scanning software on its own. If I scan using Photoshop, like you I launch Photoshop, then go to File > Import. I can then choose Canon MP800 (which is my scanner) or WIA-Canon MP800.

Choosing my scanner opens up the scanner's software, in my case ScanGear MP, and the other option opens up Microsoft's WIA software.

Presumably you are using an Epson scanner, as your how-to guide shows the Epson scanning software.

What's called "scale" in the Epson software is called "output size" in the Canon software. :smilee:
                              In the "output size" section I can choose a standard size (e.g. 4"x6" portrait, A4, A3, etc.) or choose from a list of pixel dimensions (e.g. 800 x 600 pixels, 2592 x 1944 pixels), or select a percentage.
                              Last edited by Cloggie; 24-11-09, 15:49.
                              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post

Presumably you are using an Epson scanner, as your how-to guide shows the Epson scanning software.

What's called "scale" in the Epson software is called "output size" in the Canon software. :smilee:
                                Yes ~ we bought the scanner before the computer, so needed something that worked independently (Epson Stylus Photo RX 500).
                                OH is still impressed with its quality ~ the one he uses at work cost abt £10,000

When it comes to technical stuff I just do what I'm told :p

Comment

Just been having a play around with the "output size" settings - I can increase to tens of thousands of percent - not that I'd want to as it makes the document size several gigabytes! :Big Grin:
                                  Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                                    Just been having a play around with the "output size" settings - I can increase to tens of thousands of percent - not that I'd want to as it makes the document size several gigabytes! :Big Grin:
                                    YIKES ! :Big Grin:

Have you ever tried an experiment to see if there is, in fact, any discernible difference between scanning at 600dpi and 100% and 300 dpi and upping the scale to ? whatever ... wouldn't know how to work out the maths to make it the same

Does this make sense ? :F

Comment

Yes, it makes perfect sense. :smilee:
                                      But no, I haven't experimented with that... yet. :Wink:
                                      Sarah

Comment

A number of times, I've read that a res of 350dpi is the optimum but a debate always follows and it's impossible for me to understand all the technical chat.
                                        Not actually sure that a conclusion is ever reached :conf:

Comment

Working...
                                        X