X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you pay for copy of wills

Hi
    have finally decided to try for family wills
    but does anyone know how to send payment from Australia according to site it says send payment via international money order ( i don't think thats available here in aust) or international cheque ( the last time i tried the bank said that is no longer available)
    any ideas

jebbo

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

jebbo, you should be able to write out a cheque in british pounds. say you need a cert from a local office, it will cost 7 pounds. thats roughly $15. the bank will convert the money, and put it in the cheque for you to send. the money is then out of your account, however there is usually a fee the bank charges. i think it costs me $30 every time i have a cheque sent off to england including the price of what im ordering.

just ask your bank if they do cheques in foreign currency, ask how much they charge for it, and decide if the value is worth it.

Comment

Ok thanks kylejustin
      I know the last time I asked for international bank cheque ( for uk )
      bank said they were no longer available ( i think they said something about cost involve etc) but that was awhile ago so I might ask them again and see

thanks Jebbo

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
      jebbo, you should be able to write out a cheque in british pounds. say you need a cert from a local office, it will cost 7 pounds. thats roughly $15. the bank will convert the money, and put it in the cheque for you to send. the money is then out of your account, however there is usually a fee the bank charges. i think it costs me $30 every time i have a cheque sent off to england including the price of what im ordering.

just ask your bank if they do cheques in foreign currency, ask how much they charge for it, and decide if the value is worth it.
      Last edited by jebbo; 09-08-09, 00:07.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

hope it works out. if not, you may need a further bank from your location.

Comment

Jebbo.........is it a will that is not online for download??

You can pay for them by credit card online.. I've done that many times.

The only other ones I've bought were from Lancashire and I had to print the order form and post it. There was a spot for your credit card details on that one as well. I had awful trouble getting an international cheque or money order. Most banks don't do them anymore. Apparently you have to set up your cheque account for international banking and I couldn't be bothered....lol

My brother was a state manager of a big bank at the time and he couldn't do it through his bank....lol

Kylejustin...............if you get a cert from GRO it is 7 pounds online, but I know some of the local ROs are more expensive.

Comment

Last time I went to Holborn it cost me £5 for a copy of a will. It was only an hour turn around as well. Obiviously it won't help you but I was very happy.

Comment

Lancs cost 5 pounds as well, John, and very quick.

Comment

For wills from Lancashire Record Office it is also possible to fax the order form and credit card details. That's what I've done, rather than post them. I agree with Libby that they are very quick.
                Last edited by Cloggie; 07-08-09, 06:47.
                Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                  Kylejustin...............if you get a cert from GRO it is 7 pounds online, but I know some of the local ROs are more expensive.
                  thanx libby, i knew that, i use darlington when i have money, but i meant in general as an example.

Comment

Hi Harrys mum
                    I am looking for wills dates 1967 and 1979 for bournemouth
                    Banks certainly don't make it easy for us do they
                    ( I might ask again at bank noticed they mention international bank drafts on there website )
                    I looked on PO website and they do international money orders to send to China only ( wish they would add uk to list )

Wished they added credit card payment option to postal service probate registry office;)

Jebbo

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                    Jebbo.........is it a will that is not online for download??

You can pay for them by credit card online.. I've done that many times.

The only other ones I've bought were from Lancashire and I had to print the order form and post it. There was a spot for your credit card details on that one as well. I had awful trouble getting an international cheque or money order. Most banks don't do them anymore. Apparently you have to set up your cheque account for international banking and I couldn't be bothered....lol

My brother was a state manager of a big bank at the time and he couldn't do it through his bank....lol

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Hi Cloggie
                      yes that would be a great option , I think Winchester office covers Bournemouth and they say to contact the postal service registry office

Jebbo

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                      For wills from Lancashire Record Office it is also possible to fax the order form and credit card details. That's what I've done, rather than post them. I agree with Libby that they are very quick.

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

It may be that they haven't changed their webpage - I'd email them and ask if you can pay by credit card?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi J Bee
                          yes sent them another email waiting on reply
                          Jebbo
                          Originally posted by JBee View Post
                          It may be that they haven't changed their webpage - I'd email them and ask if you can pay by credit card?

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                          X