Suffolk RO Lookups - More Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk RO Lookups - More Results

I am about to post my finds. With the Parish Records some of which are very difficult to find & even harder to read I have given my honest interpretation but on some I'm not 100% sure. I have also used abbreviations because I am a very slow typist. If you don't understand something, just ask.
    Glen

GEOFF - WOODLEY

1) The Sales Catalogue is 7 pages including a map & 2 photos detailing the estate.
    The Elizabethan Manor House known as SECKFORD HALL in the parishes of Gt. Bealings & Martlesham near Woodbridge, Suffolk was put up for sale by auction on 24/9/1940 by direction of the executors of Mrs S I WOODLEY (deceased).
    Solicitors: Messrs Durrant , Cooper & Hambling, 70/71 Gracechurch St, London E.C.3
    Auctioneers: Messrs Garrod, Turner & Son, 1 Old Butter Market, Ipswich.
    The 35 acre estate was sold to Thomas OAKLEY of Luton for £2325.

2) Letter from Messrs. Durrant Cooper and Hambling, Commissioners for Oaths, 70-71 Gracechurch Street, London, E.C.3. to Rev. F. E. Doughty, Rector of Martlesham
    Mrs S I WOODLEY
    Dear Sir,
    We enclose the Executors cheque for £150 in favour of yourself & the Churchwardens of Martlesham being the legacy bequeathed to you & them for the upkeep of the WOODLEY grave at Martlesham in the terms of our letter to you of the 26/4/1940. Please have enclosed receipt signed & returned to us.
    Yours truly,
    D,C,H
    Glen

Comment

NELL – Samuel GRAY

As we thought the map book is rather large so only able to be photographed. I did enquire about cost. A half day pass is £4.89. If they do it, it’s about £25.
      I’m not awfully good at interpreting these as my lot were all basically peasants so I don’t have much experience with such things.
      Samuel GRAY was occupying Red House Farm in 1862. All measurements in acres, roods & perches.
      Farm & land 67a 0r 37p made up of arable, 46a 0r 6p & pasture 21a 0r 31p.
      There was also ‘In Hand’ 8a 0r 16p which was mostly cottages & gardens so guessing they were for his workers.
      The others were: James WRIGHT 1a 1r 16p, John GOLDING 5a 3r 3p, William ROCKHILL 1a 0r 2p. There was another 1a 0r 2p for roads giving a total of 86a 3r 19p.
      Glen

Comment

KAT - PATERNOSTER

The Bastardy Order was on the pre-printed form so I haven’t copied it all. Hope this is the relevant bit.
        Upon the oath of the said Nelly DRANE on 11/2/1781 that the said ND on 11/2 last was delivered of a male bastard child at the house of John WATERS in the said parish of Framlingham, likely to be chargeable & that Robert PATERNOSTER of Marlesford, Blacksmith, did beget the said bastard & said RP this day voluntarily appeared before us but hath not shown any sufficient cause why we should not be adjudged the reputed father of the said bastard. RP to pay £2 12/- for lying-in of ND & maintenance of both to the time of this order. Then RP to pay 18d weekly as long as the bastard is chargeable to Framlingham & ND to pay 6d weekly.
        I looked at Ramsholt but although some names are the same, the events were too late but I have some baptisms & a marriage if you think they link up.
        There was a Settlement Cert. for FLOWERS from Trimley St Martin which I thought looked more promising for Jemima but nothing there.
        I looked at Sudbury All Saints & St Gregory for Jemima but I could find no record in either.

Marlesford
        In addition to what you have:
        PATERNOSTER Robert Robert/Sarah 10/8/1746 – didn’t see a burial PATERNOSTER Elizabeth Robert/Sarah 24/6/1752 – 30/3/1755
        PATERNOSTER Jane Robert/Sarah 15/7/1760
        PATERNOSTER Mary Robert/Sarah 12/5/1762 – 20/9/1762
        PATERNOSTER John Robert/Sarah 21/8/1763 – 28/8/1763
        Another infant Elizabeth was buried 21/5/1758
        Buried
        Sarah PATERNOSTER w Robert (HAITER)? 73 6/12/1793
        Robert PATERNOSTER widower 90 15/1/1802
        Simon PATERNOSTER blacksmith married man 54 9/3/1802
        Jonathan PATERNOSTER Gt Glemham 82 23/8/1838
        Assume you have RP/ND marriage details.
        Glen

Comment

JENNY – BALLS
          I found Matthew on the BTs Born Bapt.
          Matthew Samuel/Martha (HOWE) 18/1/1812 20/1/1812 p
          William Samuel/Martha (HOWE) 6/11/1806 8/11/1806 p
          Rachel Samuel/Martha (HOWE) 23/4/1808 25/4/1808
          Maria Samuel/Martha (HOWE) 24/4/1810 28/4/1810
          John Samuel/Martha (HOWE) Labourer 28/11/1813
          John Samuel/Martha (HOWE) “ 9/7/1815
          James Samuel/Martha (HOWE) “ 19/7/1819 p
          Samuel Samuel/Martha (HOWE) “ 1/7/1821
          Stephen Samuel/Martha (HOWE) “ 1/6/1823

I then stupidly spent an hour or more recording all other BALLS before realising Samuel’s bapt. wasn’t there. That’s the problem when I’m away, I don’t have easy access to the internet otherwise I would have checked & found Samuel came from Worlingham.
          A few relevant facts did emerge. One was a fly in the ointment re: Maria. A burial was recorded for an infant Maria 30/6/1811. There’s also the 2 Johns so I’ll check those again. Also buried:
          Samuel BALLS 73 12/6/1855
          Martha BALLS 78 31/3/1859
          29/12/1845
          Stephen BALLS FA B Labourer Wrentham Samuel Labourer
          Emma MANNING FA S Labourer Wrentham Job Labourer
          Wit: Robert & Louisa STANTON All made their mark.
          Glen

Comment

LIN – BALDRY/WROOTS

Not much luck with the WROOTS but some with the BALDRYs.

Wilby
            John Fisher BALDRY Rose WROOTS both sotp Licence 9/10/1792 Wit: Ann BALDRY John WROOTS Samuel CUTTING Elizabeth BALDRY All signed.
            BALDRY Born Buried
            Elizabeth Simon/Elizabeth 20/8/1765 30/8/1765
            Ann Simon/Elizabeth 21/9/1766
            Simon Simon/Elizabeth 15/11/1767
            John Fisher Simon/Elizabeth 4/12/1768
            Elizabeth Simon/Elizabeth 6/5/1770
            Robert Simon/Elizabeth 16/9/1771 28/7/1773
            Robert Simon/Elizabeth 1/3/1774
            James Simon/Elizabeth 6/4/1776
            Francis Simon/Elizabeth 17?/5/1777
            William Simon/Elizabeth 25/1/1780

Simon BALDRY s of (Metfield) Elizabeth FISHER sotp Licence 9/10/1764 Wit: William FISHER Henry GIBBS All signed

Garnham FISHER B (Cratfield) Elizabeth BALDRY S otp Licence 28/11/1797 Wit: Ann BALDRY Ann CLUTTON James FISHER Simon BALDRY (J)? F BALDRY All signed.

Samuel CLUTTON W (Fressingfield) Mary WROOTS sotp Licence 8/10/1801 Wit: John WROOTS John F BALDRY All signed.

There are more BALDRY & FISHER entries but no link to Simon. I meant to have a look at Metfield for his bapt. but never got round to it.

The only WROOTS entries were:
            Frances John/Rose (WILLIAMS) 1/6/1780 p
            Rose bur. 83 1/4/1822
            John bur. 80 17/5/1824
            Elizabeth BALDRY living Wilby w of Simon 72 17/2/1810 bur. Ubbeston
            Simon BALDRY living Wilby 68 15/5/1811 “ “
            Glen

Comment

SANDRA - BLUNDELL

The registers were a bit of a jumble but I think I covered all the years.
              George BLUNDELL inf son George /Elizabeth bur. 13.3.1796 No bapt.
              In addition to Sophia & Mary were born & bapt.
              John 31/7/1801 20/9/1801
              Francis 28/6/1804 25/8/1804
              Frances 18/8/1807 22/1/1808
              Possible George
              George BLUNDERS Francis/Elizabeth 26/6/1773
              Possible Elizabeth
              Elizabeth NEWMAN of riper years 10/6/1792
              Glen

Comment

TOM - KEMP

William KEMP S Martha WELLER W Licence 29/9/1744

Jonas KEMP W otp Sarah RAFELL S otp Banns 18/10/1774 Wit: Martha NOBLE John COOPER All signed.

James KING B otp Martha KEMP S otp Banns 10/7/1796 Wit: Elizabeth KEMP Jonas KEMP Sophia S..........? All signed.
                Glen

Comment

HELEN - PILGRIM

Sorry Helen, no additional info.
                  Morris PILGRIM Even/Ellen Barrow Farmer 25/12/1852
                  Louisa PILGRIM Even/Ellen Barrow Farmer 12/9/1854
                  Glen

Comment

JEN – CHANDLER

Leiston
                    Jonathan CHANDLER Jonathan/Elizabeth (WHITE) 26/3/1797

Cratfield
                    Peter CHANDLER sotp Elizabeth WRIGHT sotp Banns 7/6/1797 Wit: Robert WOOLNOUGH Philip PHILPOTT – hereafter called PP Only wits signed.

The PRs show the 6 children on the IGI.
                    Jonathan 1800 was bur. 7/5/1800. Also a Mary bur. 12/3/1806 unbaptised.

Peter bapt. John/Elizabeth 3/2/1771
                    John & Elizabeth also have those listed on the IGI Henry 1756, Samuel 1758, Elizabeth 1759, Jonathan 1762, William 1764, Thomas 1766, & Rose 1776. It also seems likely that John & Edmund bapt. Mendham are theirs.

Rose 1776 was bur. 29/4/1777.

John CHANDLER sotp Rose DANIELS sotp Banns 21/11/1780 Wit: John CHANDLER PP John Jnr & PP signed

Edmund CHANDLER sotp Mary MORLING sotp Banns 18/11/1782 Wit: John BEACROFT PP Only PP signed

Henry CHANDLER sotp Mary TOVELL W otp Licence 22/11/1791 Wit: John BALDRY PP Only wits signed

Samuel CHANDLER sotp Mary BETTS sotp Banns 31/5/1784 Wit: John CHANDLER PP Only wits signed

John, Edmund & Samuel also have families in Cratfield.
                    Glen

Comment

SUE-PIPE

Sorry Sue –neither marriage nor banns at Gt or Lt Bealings. Where did the info. Come from?
                      Glen

Comment

Hi Glen,

Thank you for your time and effort. I am a little unsure about the last two entries you list

George BLUNDERS Francis/Elizabeth 26/6/1773 - is this Georges Christening?

And, this one:

Elizabeth NEWMAN of riper years 10/6/1792 - is this Elizabeth's death.

Many thanks, Sandra

Comment

Hi Glen,

I must be a bit slow tonight, the Elizabeth Newman entry must be a Christening - otherwise she would be Elizabeth Blundell.

I think I have just managed to find a sibling of George on igi which is an extracted record for Ann Blundell 29 Dec 1785 (parents Francis and Elizabeth Blundell) so I think George Blunders is my George.

Again, many thanks, Sandra

Comment

Thank you so much Glen! You've opened up this line for me. I've also found the marriage on the IGI of Samuel Balls to Martha Howe in Frostenden (also several other Balls, who may be his siblings).
                            Jenny

Comment

Thanks Glen

That is absolutely great. It takes me back quite a long way.

With your help it has got me back 3 generations.

All this info will keep me quiet for ages.

Thanks again

Lin

Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Many thanks Glen, I could not proove any of these Chandlers for 4 years until you managed to check the RO's for me. I really appreciate all your hard work and the time and effort you have put in.
                                It's moved this line on considerably for me.
                                Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

Comment

Glen,

Thank you very much for taking the time to look for me. One day I'll get down there and find something concrete on Even's disappearance.
                                  Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
                                    SUE-PIPE

Sorry Sue –neither marriage nor banns at Gt or Lt Bealings. Where did the info. Come from?
                                    It was a submitted entry on Family Search, Glen - and we all know how reliable they are don't we :D

I gave it some credence as the bride, Mary, gave her place of birth in later census as Woodbridge which is, I think, not far from the Bealings.

Thanks for looking anyway Glen, it's much appreciated.
                                    Sue

Comment

Glen

Thank you so much. I am intrigued as most of my family were ag labs - but my gt x 4 grandfather John Gray turns up on this farm in 1841 (having been in a different county and parish previously, described on his children's baptisms as labourer)

The farm appears to have been taken over by Samuel Gray who was John's youngest surviving son. All the others continued to be ag labs and fishermen!!

I am very grateful, thank you again.
                                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Bumping as some haven't seen.
                                        Glen

Comment

Working...
                                        X