I am fuming GRO are stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am fuming GRO are stupid

I ordered a Marriage Cert 10 days ago which is bad enough , but today got an email from the GRO

to say

We have been unable to issue a certificate because the reference you found in the indexes is incorrect. This is due to an error which was made when the indexes were compiled.

In the circumstances a full refund has been credited to your account

but why could they not find the right one ??? and how can I ??????????

Have you checked the image of the index for both the bridge and groom? Do they match?
    Elaine

Comment

Sounds as if you'll have to apply to the local office - although with marriages you need to know the church the marriage took place in I think.

Anne

Comment

Could you try the records office where it was originally registered?

I believe their reference numbers are different.

Comment

I think I did Elaine as I know the Brides name ? if it was in Hull does anybody know the local office ??? thanks

Comment

It might be on here Val in which case you can order it from them

Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths
            Jackie

Comment

I think you can order it online via the Yorkshire BMD site - you'll find a reference against the marriage details - which will be different to the GRO one.
              Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths
              Elaine

Comment

Try Yorks BMD, they cover Hull & are really good Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths
                Great minds think alike :D
                Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post

but why could they not find the right one ??? and how can I ??????????
                  There will be dozens of separate registers covering the district, each quarter the details would have been sent to the GRO, copied, shuffled around to become alphabetical by both brise and groom, added to all the other alphabetical piles from every other register and shuffled around again to make an alphabetical national index.

The index will be made up of thousands of entries and each event has two names that need to be cross referenced, as it is all handwritten at some point there will always be a few records that get recorded incorrectly (1 becomes a 7, is that a 3 or a 5?).

As for the Hull address, try the wiki, put Hull in the searchbox and the Hull registrars appear in the results.
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

thanks everyone off to order it

Comment

thanks everyone printed off the form as it cannot be ordered online

Comment

You could probably order over the phone Val, but even by post, they are good.
                        Lynn

Comment

thanks Lynn didnt think of that lol

Comment

thanks Lynn have ordered it and its coming within 24 hours, just hope its the right man now LOL

Comment

Working...
                            X