The Moving Dead??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Moving Dead??

Do the dead move home after they die?? My grandfather died in a place called St Leonards, near Ringwood, in Dorset in 1960. I am about to order his death certificate and according to A*** the registration took place in Christchurch (what was then Hampshire). According to Genuki the Christchurch area only covered Christchurch and some surrounding suburbs - St Leonards was covered by Ringwood. So despite the funeral bill showing transportation from St Leonards to Wimborne did they do a detour via Hampshire or has someone typed it up incorrectly??
    What happens if I try and order it from the GRO - will it make sense to them??:(
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Just order the certificate as it appears in the index. (date, place, volume and page) if you are sure that it is your man.

During the mid 20C I have found quite a number of 'strange' registration districts, which seem to only exist for a short time. They appear to have been experimenting!

Anne

Comment

Could he have been in hospital or living with a relative as he was too ill to look after himself.

If you are sure its him do as Anne suggests and order the cert and good luck
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

We had an odd registration district here in NSW for a family birth which apparently was registered in Moulamein NSW (down on the border with Victoria), when all the other family births, and marriages occurred in Morpeth in the Hunter Valley. By chance, a comment at the family history library about how odd it seemed, brought the response that Morpeth district "ran out of numbers" so they just used up the ones from the next district !!! Apparently the Registrar allocated a block of numbers to each district, but if there were more births, they just used the next available.

Just had another look - I think the NSW BDM have recently updated their website and the districts have been corrected.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi
          I am in West Sussex and I always though that Ringwood was in Hampshire. Has it changed counties down the years?
          Regards
          Allan

Comment

Ringwood is still in Hampshire and there was a large hospital in St Leonards, indeed there was not much else there.
            Robert

Comment

The registration district list on Freebmd has two entries for Ringwood:
              Ringwood and Fordingbridge (from Jun 1974) and Ringwood (to Sep 1932) from which I deduce that between 1932 and 1974 registrations in the sub districts around Ringwood would have come under another district - namely Christchurch
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just before zzz's - bulk reply!
                No - I am not 100% sure as the age is a couple of years out (and of course the area is different)

Ringwood is "on the cusp" (although most of it is in Hampshire some of the "outlying area" is in Dorset - and St Leonards is definitely in Dorset.

He died in St Leonard's Hospital after being moved there from Poole Hospital - my Nan and Mum were the only close relatives.

I didn't check on Free BMD site as his death was not on there so I looked under Genuki for the areas - and Christchurch certainly didn't include Ringwood at any stage but - stranger things have happened!

Thanks - I will order the certificate as it is shown - for everything that Mum kept this seems to be the one thing she didn't! We had the funeral account as Dad worked for the Undertakers!

Cheers - and thanks to everyone

Marion
                There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

St Leonards is almost in Hampshire, it is close to the boundary.

Boundaries vary geographically and according to local government etc.

St Leonards Hospital is next to Ferndown in Dorset but the postal address is Ringwood :-)

The telephone number has the Bournemouth STD code.
                  Joy

Comment

Working...
                  X