Uploading to Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading to Ancestry

I've registered again with Ancestry for a month, and this time I want to upload my family tree. I want to hide the details of all living persons, however, and I'm not sure how I do that. Does anyone here know the steps I should take to do that?

I can't remember which family software program you are using Tanya - is it PAF?
    Elaine

Comment

Yes, it's PAF.

Comment

I'm not a PAF user but have just had a quick look for you.
        When you export your tree, which you will need to do in GEDCOM format to upload to Ancestry, on the first box which comes up there is a list of things on the right hand side which you can select or omit.

Two of the boxes are 'full information on living' and 'names on living' - if you deselect these then hopefully anything relating to living persons should be omitted.

If it doesn't work then come back and hopefully one of our PAF users will be able to point you in the right direction.
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          I'm not a PAF user but have just had a quick look for you.
          When you export your tree, which you will need to do in GEDCOM format to upload to Ancestry, on the first box which comes up there is a list of things on the right hand side which you can select or omit.

Two of the boxes are 'full information on living' and 'names on living' - if you deselect these then hopefully anything relating to living persons should be omitted.

If it doesn't work then come back and hopefully one of our PAF users will be able to point you in the right direction.
          I try that, thanks.

Comment

When you upload a tree to Ancestry, it automatically hides living people.

From http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/334...ttings/privacy:

For a public tree:
            All personal information is protected
            •Information about living people is automatically hidden from others and is NOT included in our search index.
            •You can change your mind and make your tree private anytime.
            •Only you can edit your tree unless you invite people to work with you.

For a private tree, when you share your tree with people, if you give those people Guest or Contributor status, there is a box you can tick which allows people to view living people or not. But if you give them Editor status, they can see living people. Only those people you share your tree with can see your tree if you make it private.

More from the Ancestry site:
            This setting makes your tree "Private" so that it can't be viewed as a Public Member Tree. Note that the information from your tree will still be indexed for searching, but those who find your information can't view your tree without your permission.
            What does this mean?
            •Even if you don't share your tree, other members can still learn if a specific deceased individual is in your tree, in addition to the birth year and birthplace of the person and your username (but no personal information about you).
            •They can then contact you anonymously through Ancestry's Connection Service to request more information. Keep in mind that members who want to learn from your tree may also have helpful information about your tree to offer you in exchange.

There is also a box you can tick to prevent your tree from being found in the search index.
            Sarah

Comment

Excellent.

Thanks heaps, Cloggie, for that information.

Now I just have to update my tree: I've lucked onto a few more cousins. :D

Comment

Why ? anyone who has an Ancestry sub or goes to a library can publish any genealogical information. What is there to stop them they are just using the published indexes.

Mike in Droiwich
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
                http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                X