Tracing your Police Ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing your Police Ancestors

Have just borrowed from the Library recently published book: Tracing your Police Ancestors: A guide for family historians by Stephen Wade. ISBN 978 184415 878 2

It covers not only the Met, but also local and regional forces, etc; has a time line for Police History; and seems fairly comprehensive in pointing the way to finding records, whilst advising perseverence!

Thought it may be of interest to some members. £12.99 paperback - or from the local library

Carol

I was fortunate with my police tree-members. GG-g-father was in the Hants police in Basingstoke very early on. One of his sons - my GG-uncle was in the Surrey police and in the City police. I got some info from all three.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found a fair few police ancestors in my tree - helps to balance out the criminal elements!

My favourite is William Octavian Gray, my 2nd cousin 2ce removed, who became a sub-divisional inspector and retired after an exemplary record.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've got one PC living in Hunslet, Leeds and on another line, at the same, I have a criminal from Leeds but who undertook his dubious activities in Ripon. I always thought how funny it would be if one arrested the other, it didn't happen in this case though. My criminal was sent to Armley Gaol.

Comment

Working...
        X