Tonight 9pm on BBC4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tonight 9pm on BBC4

The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1

Drama Documentary

Linda

My great grandmother, Eleanor Holden, was supposed to have died of a broken heart when her only child, my grandfather, failed to return from WW1.

In fact, her death cert says she died of influenza (Feb 1919) and the informant was her son!

There were six other people living in the house and none of them caught it, or if they did, they recovered without ill-effects.

OC

Comment

It's interesting the mutations of these virus' approx every 50 years and post a conflict... my own conspiracy theories abound.
      My g.grandmother died of Spanish flu in 1918, leaving 5 children.

bubblebelle

PS wish I'd watched this rather than WDYTYA, a bit disappointing this week I felt.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Noted and filed Bob ;)

Bubblebelle
        Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Actually, viruses are fascinating things (says sad OC, lol).

They originate in outer space and need a period of turbulent weather to get them to earth. They also need turbulence in order to survive and replicate, which is why we sneeze and cough when we have a cold/flu virus.

I read one suggestion that the Spanish Flu pandemic was made worse because of the turbulent air caused by fighting during WW1! Not as far-fetched as you might suppose.....

OC

Comment

Bob

Just make sure you don't waft those trees around and you should be ok......

OC

Comment

But is that Olde Crone Holden a double agent.

Bubblebelle
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

You didn't miss much not watching WDYTYA with David Mitchell. What a waste of an opportunity to show Scottish resources. Not one bit of "how to" to be seen!

Comment

Working...
                X