There's nothing new.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's nothing new.....

I unearthed a deposition at the LMA today by a 10 year old girl accusing her father's employee of assault -
    Quote - ".... went upstairs ....William Nicholls took her in his arms and sat down with her on the bed and unbuttoned his breeches and put his nasty thing to her and by force held her down on him"

This was in 1795. I held the actual deposition and the crossings out and language were so obviously that of a distraught child that I sincerely hope that William Nicholls got all he deserved from the courts of the time:( I'm still looking for the trial...
    Sue

Except for nowadays there would be a media scramble and producers itching to turn the story into a film or series.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I found one at NSW State Records from 1855, same kind of thing. Edward was found kneeling in front of a 6 y.o girl with his trousers unbuttoned. He pleaded guilty and blamed an addiction to intemperance, but later claimed he could not recall the incident and pled guilty from "legal guilt" whatever that was. He got three years with hard labour on the roads, and spent much of his sentence on Cockatoo Island (Sydney). He was disowned by family and friends, but at least got over his addiction to drink.

The smallest report in the newspaper of the day, rather than the screaming headlines it would have been today.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Rather heartening to see that it WAS considered a crime back then, when there was no legal minimum age of consent to sexual activity!

OC

Comment

I may have found the accusation but there's no sign of an actual prosecution. As the deposition was recorded in Middlesex I would have expected an Old Bailey trial but nothing as yet....
          If anyone else fancies a look the childs name was Charlotte Webster and the offence took place in Sunbury. William Nicholls was a journeyman hairdresser!
          Sue

Comment

Working...
          X