Barnardo Home Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnardo Home Records

Hi all, I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I wanted to let people know. My great grandmother was sent to Canada through Bernardo's, and I inquired about her records. I received a reply stating that they had records on her, but it would cost 100 pounds (187 dollars for me in Canada). I hummed and hawed about it for a while, not knowing if it would be worth sending away for them, but finally I decided to do it, and was I ever glad I did! I had been under the impression that once a child was placed with a family that was the end of their involvement, but I was wrong. I received a fountain of information from the day she entered Bernardo's until she was married. I even received hand written notes my grandmother wrote to her case worker, including an invitation to her wedding! The caseworker visited the home she was in once or twice a year and wrote detailed info on her health, behaviour, etc. Their was also a photo of her the day she entered Bernardo's. For me, it was money well spent.

Great outcome for you, Debbie!

Comment

we are currently on the waiting list to find out about my nans brother Walter. Until a year ago he was a myth, but now we are hopefully going to find out about his life before he left for Oz. we are hoping that it may lead any to any clues on who his father was, or that perhaps his mother at least visited him
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

you are lucky as Im not close enough I cant access them but they did send me some details and the photos of them when they were admitted to Barnados

Comment

Do you know the person who is more closely related? I had to get my mother to sign something giving me permmision for me to ask for the files. This was my great grandma.

Comment

they are all dead as far as I know ,but they said as they may have a family it wouldnt be right ??
            Which seems odd when you think .
            I did find something of them in Canada though one of them lived to be over 101 quite an achievement.

Comment

That does sound very odd.My mother is not the oldest living relative of her grandmother as far as I know, but we're not in contact with them and Benardo's didn't need to know that. They sent me a form to be filled out by "the nearest living relative". It seems to me that if you do not know any other relative that is alive, you would be.

Comment

maybe I'll try again then thanks

Comment

-+

You're welcome. I hope things will work out this time.

Comment

who did you write to it wasnt a Val was it at Ilford ??

Comment

Yes it was

Comment

oh well she will remember me then so dont think she will change her mind , thanks Debbie

Comment

Please don't think too badly about Barnardo's. They are VERY protective of our privacy and, of course, there are Privacy Laws that they have to adhere to.
                          They have been very good to my brother, sister and me. I am now 70 years old and came to live in Australia in 1951 at the age of 12. My brother was 7 1/2 and my sister was 10 on the ship. When I left school at age 15 they put me through Business College and found me good board and lodgings. They also followed me up until I turned 21. Then it was up to me to let them know how I was getting on in the world. If I had any problems I knew I could go to them at any time for help When I got married I had the Manager of Barnardo's Australia to give me away and his daughter was one of my two bridesmaids. I have stayed in touch with Barnardo's since entering their care in March, 1951 and I am extremely pleased with the care they expended to me.
                          Just 2 weeks ago I attended a Barnardo Reunion at Picton Showground (Sydney, NSW) and help with the selling of the raffle tickets each year. I can speak with confidence on behalf of my brother and sister as to the fact that we have never regretted Barnardo's and the British Government's decision to send us to Australia. We have the largest family of brothers and sisters in the world and support each other in a way no other family could do so.
                          I do hope that anyone writing to Barnardo's for information will be understanding to the fact that 'sometimes' it seems a little hard to get what you want from them but I am sure they will do their best to help you.
                          Cheers, Wynford, in Forth on the North Coast of Tasmania, Australia.

Comment

Wynford, thanks for sharing that with us - sounds as if you have had a very happy life.
                            Elaine

Comment

Wynford. That is so good to hear.
                              17th of this month I go to the AGM & celebration lunch of the Thomas Coram Foundling Association.

I wasn't a foundling - but my father was very closely associated with them, as his father was employed by the Foundling hospital, and he used to take the youngters home for tea.

They say just the same- very few regrets, Happy fullfilled lives, and a very similar phrase ( which is what prompted me to reply) ''We are part largest loving family the world over''

It is so nice to hear that from another group whom people tend to automatically feel sorry for , assuming it was a bad thing.
                              Jess

Comment

It's also an influence on our attitude to children's homes etc that we never get any 'good news' stories in the media and we are only fed the stories of those children who were badly treated.
                                Margaret

Comment

To Elaine- Yes I have had a very happy life, thank you. I shudder to think what would have happened if we had stayed with our father. Five months after our mother died he married an awful woman with 2 daughters and she said he had to choose between her and us 3. Needless to say he chose her.
                                  To Jess- Good to see you are still connected to the Foundling Association. Bless you.
                                  To Margaret- Given the chance I could tell you lots of 'good news' stories from the homes that we have been in.
                                  I was in a Dorchester County Council Home for about 18 months before going into Barnardo's. It was great in the Council Home too. I was at Grammar School and also in the Local Guides. I was only in Barnardo's in the UK for a few months in order to be 'processed' to come out here as my sister and brother had been in Barnardo's for a couple of years.
                                  Out here, we were treated very well. I taught Sunday School at 14 years of age, sang in the choir at Church and was a member of the Fellowship. I received pocket money every week and we were taken to the pictures or to the beach on the weekends. We had a swimming pool and lived in a great big 2 storey house on 22 acres. There was a horse for us to ride too. I was the eldest at the home while I was there. Families took us out for weekends and away on holidays. I went to the local high school for girls and we were always first in with our money for any excursions or for cooking, sewing or anything else that we needed money for. I knew of girls whose parents could not raise the money when needed for school projects and when I asked them why they had to spend time in the school library, they would say that they didn't have the money required. We NEVER missed out on anything. As long as we took our slip of paper with the required amount to the managers office by Saturday morning then we could go back to him on Sunday evening and were given the money in an envelope to take to school on the Monday. We were well fed and clothed and had a lovely home to live in. And we had lovely people to look after us. We had little chores to do to help each other, after all there were 16 girls in our house between the ages of 7 to 15. And we had fun and lots of play time.
                                  Every year we have a Reunion on the last Saturday in September. And it is so good to meet up with the 'boys and girls' with whom we grew up.
                                  Sorry to waffle on like this but I sing the praises of Barnardo's whenever I can as they have done so much for so many.
                                  I'm off to bed now as my eyes are very tired and my nice warm bed awaits.
                                  Cheers, Wynford

Comment

Hi Wynford, It's sounds as though you've had quite an experience but Barnados have been wonderful and helped you out and been there for you through all the years. It's so nice to hear such a great story and that things can turn out really well. You've been very lucky, I think a lot of people can only dream about having the life you've had and still got. Please feel free to share some more of your adventures/memories if you'd like to. :Big Grin:

Comment

I would love to John. But I would like to know that I am not boring anyone to tears.
                                      Wynford.

Comment

you'd never bore me

Comment

Working...
                                        X