2 stepbrothers called Walter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stepbrothers called Walter

I wonder if anyone can help me find what happened to Walter Carrington (c1860, Potton, Bedfordshire) after the 1881 census. His stepbrother, also called Walter, was only 5 or 6 years younger than him. They were born about 4 miles apart from each other, and had the same occupation.

Here is what I've found so far:
    Walter Carrington was born c1860 in Potton, Bedfordshire.
    His stepbrother Walter Giddings was born c1866 in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.

- in 1861, Walter Carrington is living with his parents in Potton (RG9; Piece: 994; Folio: 90; Page: 9)

- by 1871, Walter Carrington's mother has died and his father has remarried to Walter Giddings' mother, and both boys are living with the family in Potton (RG10; Piece: 1548; Folio: 9; Page: 10)

- in 1881, Walter Carrington is with his parents in Potton; occupation Harness Maker (RG11; Piece: 1627; Folio: 11; Page: 16)
    - in 1881, there is a W. Giddings (age 15, born Biggleswade) at the Langham Hotel in Cavendish Square, Marylebone (RG11; Piece: 140; Folio: 138; Page: 3). I suspect this is Walter Giddings.

- in 1891, there is a Walter Carrington (age 25, born Biggleswade) in St Paul, Deptford, London; occupation Saddler & Harness Maker. (RG12; Piece: 500; Folio 167; Page 49)
    Based on the age and place of birth, I suspect this might actually be Walter Giddings.
    - I haven't been able to find a Walter Giddings of the right age born in Biggleswade on the 1891 census.

- in 1895, Walter Giddings marries Martha Ann Dean in Bedfordshire. His name is listed as Walter Carrington Giddings in the marriage index.

- in 1901, Walter Giddings is with his wife, children and wife's brother, in Shoreditch, London; occupation Harness Maker. (RG13; Piece: 269; Folio: 48; Page: 28)
    - I haven't been able to find Walter Carrington in 1901.

- in 1911, Walter Giddings is with his wife and children in Whitchurch, Buckinghamshire; occupation Harness Maker.

As I suspect the 1891 census listing is actually for Walter Giddings, I can't find any trace of Walter Carrington after 1881 - not on the census or in the death indexes.
    Can anyone find him and/or prove me wrong by finding Walter Giddings on the 1891 census?
    Last edited by Cloggie; 05-08-09, 17:06.
    Sarah

No sign of him in 1911 either. Perhaps he emigrated?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yes, that possibility had crossed my mind as well. He just disappears.

Their father's will, proved in 1900, states "...for all my children, but including as one of my children my stepson Walter Giddings son of my said wife..."
      So unfortunately that doesn't provide any clues about Walter Carrington either, as only Walter Giddings and another brother Alfred John Carrington are mentioned by name.
      Sarah

Comment

If it doesn't mention Walter Carrington then maybe he died or was in disgrace for some reason. Ooo I love a mystery!!!

Comment

Sorry, I should have explained that better. It's not that he excluded Walter Carrington in his will. Including Walter Giddings, there were 10 children in all - but none of them were mentioned in their father's will by name, except his eldest son Alfred John, to whom he left his business, and his stepson Walter Giddings, to make sure he was included in "all my children".
          Last edited by Cloggie; 05-08-09, 18:12.
          Sarah

Comment

In that case I would guess either Walter was abroad or using an alias!

It is frustrating. I have 2 great uncles who just vanish though I know (from settlement of one of their sister's estates after her death) that one of them was still alive in 1925.

Comment

Yes, it is frustrating. I was hoping maybe I'd missed something that somebody else could spot - a really bad mistranscription or something. I've searched and searched but he just seems to have vanished. :(

Thanks for looking Nell.
              Sarah

Comment

I did look, and also checked on the LDS pilot site, but all that came up there was the 1861 cens for him.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie.
                  Sarah

Comment

Have you checked the outgoing passenger lists on FMP? They only start in 1890, though, if I remember rightly.

Comment

There is a possible match on an 1896 passenger list on FMP but the transcription hasn't provided any useful details. I've looked at the image of the corresponding arrival record on the Ellis Island site, but although the transcription says there's a Walter Carrington on there, I can't see any Walter Carrington on the image.

EDIT: finally found a Walter Carrington on the Ellis Island site on a different image than the one the transcription links to. This Walter Carrington is 37 years old in 1896, occupation Steward, and is travelling from England to Philadelphia. So unfortunately there's not enough information to tell whether he could be my missing Walter or not.
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 06-08-09, 11:01.
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X