Another Elias Organ query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Elias Organ query

This is about Elias Woodward Organ born 1786 in Gloucestershire. We know that he had an Assisted passage to New South Wales in 1839. I have found burial records for him, died in 1866 and for his wife Elizabeth, who died in 1869 in New South Wales.

I found in Pallots a marrage between Elias Organ and Betty Fisher, but don't know the date. I am not able to read the marriage entry. What I am wondering is that he and Betty married and on her death, decided to go to Australia, as I have been unable to find passage for either an Elizabeth Organ or a Betty Organ. Did he marry Elizabeth in Australia, though if so I doubt whether they had any children in view of their ages.

Or is Elizabeth and Betty one and the same and I missed her going out to Australia, or is a coincidence.

MTIA for anyone's help

Looking at the images for the New South Wales, Australia, Assisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1828-1896 I can see the entry for Elias.

On the following page is an entry for Elizabeth Organ, with three children Henry 17 (tailor), Anne 16 (dressmaker) and Eliza (15) nursemaid.

On the page for Elizabeth it says:
    A native of .....?..... (cant read place name!), daughter of Thomas Fisher, Wire Worker ....?.... (can't read that word either!) and Hannah his wife therein.
    Elaine

Comment

Being a bear of little brain, does this mean that Elizabeth and Elias married and had the children in England? Also is the entry I found in Pallots also likely to be right?

Comment

All I can say is that Elizabeth Organ (nee Fisher) and her three children travelled on the same boat and are recorded on the page following the entry for Elias!
        Elaine

Comment

Submitted on the IGI

Event(s):
          Birth: About 1781 Of, Dursley, Gloucester, England

Christening:
          Death:
          Burial:

Marriages:
          Spouse: Betty Fisher
          Marriage: 10 FEB 1806 Dursley, Gloucester, England
          Jess

Comment

Pallot gives the marriage as 1806 in Dursley which fits with what you know of Elias already.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Looks like there was a Thomas too

THOMAS ORGAN

Christening: 01 FEB 1807 Dursley, Gloucester, England

Death: 25 FEB 1808

Parents:
              Father: ELIUS ORGAN Family
              Mother: ELIZABETH
              Jess

Comment

IGI has baptisms for Elias Organ 1787 in North Nibley, but also for Elias Organ abt 1781 of Dursley, giving same info about the marriage.

Comment

Also on the same boat

George Organ,
                  Native of Durlsey Gloucestershire son of Elias carpenter .......?..... and Elizabeth his wife therein
                  occupation Tailor
                  Age on embarkation 25

Maria Organ
                  Native of same place as husband ditto of linen (?) cloth worker .... (sorry cannot read rest of it)
                  Calling - dressmaker
                  Age24

children listed - William age 7, Emily age 5
                  Elaine

Comment

As for the immigration record, I think it says she is a native of Gloucestershire which is nice and vague.

But using the parents listed in the immigration record as Thomas and Hannah there is a very likely baptism for Eliz Fisher in Dursley 08 Feb 1784.

Comment

Working...
                    X