copying a branch to its own tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• copying a branch to its own tree

I've looked through the forums and in the wiki and in help on FTM to no avail.

I want to take one person and copy them and their ancestors to a new tree. I have found 'copy individual and all ancestors', created a new empty tree and found the 'paste' option. The thing is it keeps warning me about merging which is a bit scarey. Can someone please reassure me that if I paste into the new tree nothing will happen to the original.

*worries*
    Rose

Rosie - can you just clarify.
    You say you want to create a new tree for one person plus all their ancestors.
    Do you want the siblings of the direct ancestors as well?
    Do you want the descendants of those siblings as well?

... and which version of FTM are you using?
    Elaine

Comment

I've just successfully separated two lines in FTM 2005 using Trevor Franklin's directions from July 2008, which were very straightforward:

"What you need to do is export into a file the name that starts the family line you wish to seperate and all their descendents
      Choose File
      Then Export File
      Then Selected Individuals
      From the list, select the name that is the root of the tree to create
      Click on the Descendants button
      You will then see all the names appear in the right pane
      Click on OK and save the file"

I think this will work in other versions of FTM just as well.

Hope this may help
      Carol
      Last edited by Carol Bird; 05-08-09, 15:23.

Comment

Probably worth adding a link that has been posted before but doesn't get seen often.

Ron (genealogy printers) wrote a good article all about splitting a tree (techy term for what you want to do Rosie)

Splitting a Family File

There are also a few threads about the subject, you can find them by searching for splitting on the software board.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

the word splitting is a bit scarey It suggests losing the info from the original tree.

To clarify (2006 btw) I want to take my grandson and all his direct ancestors (not sibs of ancestors) and put them in a new tree so I can play around with it to print out a decorative one for him.

Having seen what I've just typed, there isn't any need really is there? I can just select him and create a tree of his ancestors Duh!:o

I'll go and have a look at all the links anyway, it will be good for me to refamiliarise myself with the programme as I'm hoping to have to do some work on it soon.

Thanks all
          Rose

Comment

Working...
          X