Elias Organ look up request please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elias Organ look up request please

I am unsure from the entry whether this Elias is my ancestor. What it does have in common with the information I have is that he died in New South Wales. My Elias was born in abt 1797 in North Nibley, Gloucestershire and died in 1866 in NSW.

I have found an entry on ancestry for Elias Woodward Organ on the Assisted Immigrant Passenger list but don't know if he is one and the same, because I can't read it. Could some kind person take pity on me?

MTIA

Aler Organ
    [Elias Woodward Organ]

Estimated Birth Year:abt 1790 Age:49 Gender:Male Voyage Arrival Date:3 Sep 1839
    Vessel Name:Bussorah Merchant Origin Location:Rursley, Gloucestershire

The handwriting is a scrawl and I couldn't say what the first name is, but surname is definitely Organ. It says he is a carpenter and his religion is Wesleyan, his health is very good and he reads and writes.

It says he is a native of what looks like Rursley but could be Dursley, "son of Abraham, a farmer of [can't read this] and Martha his wife [think it says wife, followed by another illegible thing]"

So the age and birthplace are out with your chap. Does his occupation adn his parents fit?
    Last edited by Little Nell; 05-08-09, 10:36.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I also have an ORGAN in my family - she married a distant relative and she was from
      Dowdeswell, Gloucestershire born 1857.

Comment

Looks like the same fellow. The one who died in NSW has Abram for his father.

Comment

I'd say that it is definitely the right Elias, thank you Little Nell.

The birth date may be a bit out, but his parenthood I think confirms it Abraham and Martha. Thing is, when you are dealing with where someone was born, you are at a bit of a loss if you don't know the area.

Comment

Lorraine

You can use google maps to see. Though people are often a bit sloppy about their birthplaces. My Glos gt x 2 grandfather William Williams is on all the censuses 1841-1901 and has 5 different birthplaces - all equally plausible and just a few miles from eachother. He's also a bit vague about his age too, which has made it really difficult to find a baptism (I currently have 2 likely ones) and impossible to find his death!

Comment

Thanks for the tip. Our ancestors could fib for England, making it so difficult to find them lol. At least with a name like Elias, there aren't that many of them.

Comment

I have the same problem with my Glos relatives! They say they are born one time in Aston on Cairant, then another Painswick and finally I found a baptism in Ashchurch!
                Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X