Some lookups requested pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some lookups requested pleased

This is because I don't have access to the detail on the Jail and Other Sentences on Ancestry. I keyed in the name Organ and it brought up a list of very familiar names in the Gloucester area and they were imprisoned in around the 1850s but I don't have the faintest idea what for.

Can some kind person help me please. Incidently I still want to know if they were sentenced to death for some heinous crime, so you need not think you are sparing my feelings

MTIA

I am particularly interested in a David Organ, born 1826, as he seems to have been in trouble with the authorities more than once. There are also entries for Thomas Organs too, only he was transported - what did he do?
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 05-08-09, 09:16.

Hi Lorraine,

They are talking about Criminal Register Indexes on this thread:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/research-qs/71691-ancestry-criminal-registers-indexes.html

Don't know if it will be of any help to you. You may have already seen it.

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
      Hi Lorraine,

They are talking about Criminal Register Indexes on this thread:

http://www.familytreeforum.com/research-qs/71691-ancestry-criminal-registers-indexes.html

Don't know if it will be of any help to you. You may have already seen it.
      Thanks John. Not much help as I can't read what the crime committed was. David Organ seemed to have been in trouble from 13! By modern day standards imprisoning someone for being hungry and doing something about it is awful.

Comment

Have found two records for David.

1839 Sentenced to 3 months imprisonment for larceny.

1859 Sentenced to 6 months imprisonment & hard labour for stealing three barne rabbits the property of Josiah Bushell.

Wil have a look for Thomas.

Jane

Comment

Sorry, got to get back to work now.

There is more than one Thomas Organ - born c1792, c1807/8 and some records have no date of birth given.

I will have another look later if no-one else has found them in the meantime.

Jane

Comment

Hallo Lorraine

You can check out Gloucester Gaol Register entries (and other stuff) for free here:

Gloucestershire Record Office - Genealogical Search

You can then order photocopies of any entries you want from the Gloucestershire Records Office for a small amount.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks LittleNell and Breckland Jane.

The David info seems to fit in with the dates I have. Unfortunately the Gaol site does not seem to fit in date wise.

Comment

Just noticed that Thomas c1807/8 was not in Gloucestershire - sorry to confuse.

Thomas c1792 - sentenced to 1 month for larceny in 1846.

Thomas no dob - sentenced to 2 years for larceny in 1824, aquitted in 1826 - larceny, 7 years for larceny in 1827.

Jane

Comment

There are a lot of other Organs in Gloucestershire - mostly acquittals.

Richard Organ aged 17 in 1840 was transported for 10 years for house breaking.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                    Just noticed that Thomas c1807/8 was not in Gloucestershire - sorry to confuse.

Thomas c1792 - sentenced to 1 month for larceny in 1846.

Thomas no dob - sentenced to 2 years for larceny in 1824, aquitted in 1826 - larceny, 7 years for larceny in 1827.

Jane
                    'My' Thomas was born in 1821, therefore I am inclined to think that neither of the above could be him. It is possible though that he could have been transported to Australia depending on the date.

The Gloucester Gaol lead led to an Overseer entry, not sure what that meant. Did it mean he was sent overseas and that was a fancy title for transportation.

Comment

The Gloucestershire Genealogy Database has info on the gaol register and also on overseers records, plus Wills.

Overseers (not overseas!) were parish officials who were responsible for deciding if and how much parish relief people received, in the days before the welfare state.

They had the power to send people to another parish if they felt that parish was liable, or to send people to the workhouse, or to give them "out relief" or money etc if they needed it. I think their official title was Overseer of the Poor.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                      X