medical records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medical records

Can anyone help I have been asked by a friend of my brother-in-law (they live in Canada) if I can apply for some birth and death cert which is no problem as I found what she wants and appyling for them to send to the lady. But what she would like is medical records of her Grandfather and mother. Is it possible to acquire these. For medical reasons she has been asked to put together a family tree because of an illness that doctors in Canada think is hereditary. Her mother emigrated to Canada from Darlington after the war as she married a canadian soldier so she wants to find out about her English heritage.
    I have been asked lots of favours through the family but I have never had to locate medical records can anyone help.
    GWEN

100 year closure usually
    Jess

Comment

I would agree - I have a relative's medical records but can only get the ones older than 100 years from the health board.
      Perhaps if the case is one of hereditary illness then there may be an exemption to allow a doctor access to review the notes - just a possibility - but I don't think they would be available to a family historian.

All I can suggest is that you contact the health board that holds the archive and get advice from them. I wonder if the application for the records would have to be made through medical personnel??
      These are just my thoughts though as I don't have any real knowledge on the matter.
      Good luck
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

I suggest that the person in Canada applies directly to the relevant health authorities.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
          I suggest that the person in Canada applies directly to the relevant health authorities.
          I agree and they will tell her in what circumstances the records can be released or information from them divulged and to whom.
          If they are dead the GP records with be with the Family Practitioner Committee and the address for that will be on the NHS website. Hospital records presumably with the Health Authority.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks for all your comments I have been looking and reading the information on the NHS health site concerning medical records and it stated they are only kept for 10 years after the patient dies or leaves the country so may be there would not be any records for the people she needs them for. So I am a bit confused what is the 100 year closure date related to?
            GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              I think this would be the best way if it was found that records were available
              GWEN

Comment

The person concerned would need to contact the primary care trust of the area that person died in. Medical records are destroyed 10 years after death or leaving the country.
                But.. With the advent of computer records, these computer entries if the doctor was using computers will still be with the doctor. They don't get wiped so if the gp was using a computer you may be in luck. Again you will first need to go through the pct unless you know the name ofthe gp. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X