Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM census reference numbers

Where best to record these? I have FTM 2005

All my reference numbers are written in my paper files, but for a lot of my early research I just blithely wrote"1891 in Barnoldswick" etc :o so I've got to go through all census images and make sure they are fully notated.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this - just do whatever you feel is the easiest way for you.

I add census information as a fact, for example in my Facts list I have
    1841 census
    1851 census
    1861 census etc.

(You could just add Census as a fact, and then put the year in the date field)

In the description I then add the address and occupation,
    e.g. Res. 14 King George Street, Greenwich. Occ. Retired Engineer RN

The census reference is then added as the source of the fact.

For children living with parents I still add the census fact, e.g. 1861 census - but in the description just put 'living with parents'.

An alternative way is to add the census references and/or information in the Notes section.

Unfortunately I didn't start recording census refs at the beginning so have quite a few that still need adding! :(
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Unfortunately I didn't start recording census refs at the beginning so have quite a few that still need adding! :(
      Glad it's not just me then!

I think I might get my paper files up to date first (bought a big new pad specially) and then consider how to record them on the computer.

Comment

I'm slowly transferring everything from notes across to facts as Elaine describes above.

Although it's handy to have the household transcribed in notes for easy reference i found my self "cheating" and sometimes just entering a note along the lines of

Census Held

When the old pooter died i lost the images, (didn't have theml saved elsewhere :o:() and don't have the refs, a bit awkward asking for images with some of my tree too thanks to several duplicate names in ine line (eg x10 Joseph Goulson entries etc).

One big advantage to using the facts option is that you can then create a custom report which lists the facts you choose, you could for example create a report to list birth, marriage and death refs, another for census details etc.
        At a glance you can then see what you have (or haven't) found.

If you have a look at posts #3 to #8 on the tips thread (see link below) i did there are examples of adding facts and creating reports using screengrabs from my FTM 2005, you don't have to use the same abbreviations for sources as i do but it might give you an idea or two you can then adapt to your own needs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thankyou Glen you've given me a lot to think about...now back to my task, I've finished my Abbots, now going on to the Atkinsons

Comment

Working...
          X