Where did Charles go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did Charles go.

Can anyone find where my gg uncle Charles Edmund Norgate went after 1891?
    In that year he was still living with his parents in Oxford, but I can find no trace of him afterwards. He was born in 1874 in Hampshire and the family moved to Oxford some time before 1881. I know his elder sister went out to the States in 1888, but I don't have access to passenger lists so can't see if he left UK. There is no entry for him on the Ellis Island website, and I can't find a death for him either.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Hi,
    I have some Norgates who married my Trimmers.
    These Norgates were from Newton Valence in Hampshire. I have Walter Norgate b c 1867, son of Thomas Norgate and Harriet Rothwell. Thomas Norgate son of John Norgate (possibly).
    Walter and his wife, I think, went to Canada.
    I may be on a wild goose chase but do you think this family relate to yours.
    Always worth a mention just in case
    Fingers crossed.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Hi herky, it's quite possible that our norgates might be connected - I still have a lot of research to do on them. Charles' family came from Kilmeston, which is only about 12 miles from Newton Valence. There is also the possibility that one of his great uncles was Thomas. There seem to be quite a lot of Norgates in that area though, so I think it may need some untangling.

Linda
      Linda

Comment

Oh - I would be interested to hear about the family should you find a connection at a later date - not that I have much as the Norgate married the daughter of my gg grannie's brother - so quite distant really but interesting all the same.
        I also meant to say that Walter had a brother with Charles as a middle name and also called his 2nd son Charles Edward Norgate - so probably a family name!!
        Thanks
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

There is a Charles Edmund Norgate aged 36 born Southampton on the 1911 census living in West Derby Lancashire who looks promising
          Jackie

Comment

If that's the right Charles it looks as though he married Mabel Nellie Wedge in 1900 (Ormskirk) and they are both here in 1901

- Ancestry.co.uk

(let me know if you don't have Ancestry UK access)
            Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, have checked him out and he seems to be the right one - I must have missed him before as I have his place of birth as South Stoneham and not Shirley, tho I suppose they are reasonably close. Interesting to see that he lives next door to Wedges - Looks like the in-laws.

Linda
              Linda

Comment

Working...
              X