Help urgently needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help urgently needed

We are having problems with our pc, it wouldn't turn on at all this evening. I unpluged it & then plugged it in again & it came on briefly. I then changed the cable, as I thought the fuse had blown & it started up & went through a set up screen, but then came to the log in page. However when we clicked on an icon, it turned itself off again & then proceeded to turn on & off. I will not work at all again now? Please can someone offer advice, as we are no longer cover by insurance as at £17 a month, we could no longer afford it. :(

Many thanks
    Lynn

Dave says that it could be one of 3 things.

Overheating
    Failing Power supply or Motherboard
    Malicious Program

All of which require a visit to a repair shop.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh no, that really doesn't sound good. :(
      Lynn

Comment

Is it a laptop Lynn? It sounds like what used to happen on my laptop before I got a cooling pad for it.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

No Chrissie, it is the pc, I am on the laptop at the moment.

Is there nothing I can try at home?
          Lynn

Comment

could be a loose connection.open case,switch off at mains first.check if motherboard or fan is full of dust.

you can get a can of pressed air can from maplans to clean or connect small tubin to your vacum cleaner nozle.

though check that their is no solder that has over heated on the board near your power connection as if this the case then time for a new pc.

you can get a cheap second hand one from your paper internet ready or if you know of a pc fair you can pick a base unit for 40 pound.

Comment

Thanks Moyes.
              During the evening, it kept turning on & off again, but when we tried it this morning, there was nothing. :(. Sadly it looks like it might need to visit the repairman. Any idea how much it might cost for the problems ave suggested?
              Lynn

Comment

a shop will charge about 30 pound just to look at your pc.

is there no lights or noise,

if you have an old monitor that may have finished it's life.also check where your monitor is connected to your pc as if the connection moves then your graphics card may need to be pushed back in. quite easy to do.

Comment

Now there is no lights or noise it won't turn on at all. The mointor is still working fine.
                  Lynn

Comment

If there are no lights, I wonder if it could be a problem with the computer's power supply unit?

I had a similar problem recently, but in my case the power supply was still working. When I switched the computer on, the power light and the fans would come on, but the computer wouldn't boot up at all (nothing coming up on the monitor whatsoever). I am fortunate to have a computer-expert friend, who took my computer away with him to diagnose the problem in his spare time. In my case it turned out the motherboard had died. A new motherboard only cost me about 80 euros, but of course I didn't have to pay any costs of labour as I didn't have to take it to a repair shop.
                    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, I am sorry that I haven't noticed your reply sooner. However, miracles do happen & am am wrtining this on my PC which is now working again! I think that it maybe just needed a rest, but am glad to be back anyway.
                      Lynn

Comment

Lynn,

It sounds like the laptop was overheating, which is understandable at the moment.

The small fans that are under the laptop have to work extremely hard and sometimes cannot cool the unit fast enough.
                        This will cause the processor to get too hot and causes it to shutdown.

Trev

Researching:
                        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor, but it was my pc not the laptop, which had problems.
                          Lynn

Comment

Indicates that there was a power supply problem.

Researching:
                            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks, I shall keep that in mind for if it happens again
                              Lynn

Comment

Now you are back on your PC I would also take this opportunity to backup any important data you have on in just in case it goes again.

Linda
                                LindaG

Comment

Hi Linda, I did back up my FTM, which was the only thing I had been working on recently. Yesterday, the pc shut down on me again :(, & now just goes on & off again, so I think that I will have to get it looked at.
                                  Lynn

Comment

have you a start up disc?or go to start and ask on run to do a disca scan brenda xxx

Comment

A disc wouldn't help, as the computer won't start up.
                                      We have had a man over today & the prblem appears to be the motherboard & we are hving it replaced. :(
                                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                      X