1930 census free on footnote for August
    Elaine
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

oooh will have a look at that Elaine.. ta
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Difficult to read .... something Fitter
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you, Elaine!

I've wanted another go at that for a while - to see if I can track down more history for Errant Grandfather. I'd found some info already - and this has given me a chance to verify and polish up my notes.

Christine

and I agree - so far it's a bit of a pain to navigate!
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Bob

Could it be PIKE or PIPE fitter do you think?
          Elaine

Comment

Hi Bob

Glad you sorted it, just having a look round now
            Elaine

Comment

So frustrating... :(

Errant Grandfather's 1939 naturalisation doc quotes his wife as Edith Louise, married 25 Nov 1937, in Sullivan County, Tennessee, and gives her DoB/PoB as Dec 22, 1915, in "Dant" Va.
              The marriage record (an actual certificate, in the form a UK person expects, doesn't seem to be available) shows her as aged 19, which would put her DoB as 1917 (or 1918, if she rounded-up). Her surname looks like FEBUARY. The record doesn't include fathers' names, nor witnesses' names.

I can't find her in the 1930 census! :(

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can't print or save images though unless you cough up cash.

Comment

I printed off the page with my mother on it without providing any credit card number.
                  The print is so small it is unreadable so glad it did not cost. And I could not see where there is any address.
                  Find My Past's census searching and reporting has spoiled me. I found this site
                  difficult (or maybe just different) to navigate. Good thing I'm only interested in one person.;)
                  Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    So frustrating... :(

Errant Grandfather's 1939 naturalisation doc quotes his wife as Edith Louise, married 25 Nov 1937, in Sullivan County, Tennessee, and gives her DoB/PoB as Dec 22, 1915, in "Dant" Va.
                    The marriage record (an actual certificate, in the form a UK person expects, doesn't seem to be available) shows her as aged 19, which would put her DoB as 1917 (or 1918, if she rounded-up). Her surname looks like FEBUARY. The record doesn't include fathers' names, nor witnesses' names.

I can't find her in the 1930 census! :(

Christine
                    Hi Christine

I found an Edith "Veselovsky" on the 1920 census (aged 3 months), living in Dante, Virginia - do you think that could be the surname? Ancestry have it mistranscribed as "Kesibary" - and it does look a bit like that on the image. That's the closest match to "Febuary" that l can find for an Edith born c1918 living in Dante, VA. If you'd like a copy of the image to have a look yourself, send me a pm. By the way, I also found them in 1930, by which time they'd moved to Baltimore. Her parents were Paul and Barbola, they were Hungarian immigrants.

cheers,
                    Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                      Hi Christine

I found an Edith "Veselovsky" on the 1920 census (aged 3 months), living in Dante, Virginia - do you think that could be the surname? Ancestry have it mistranscribed as "Kesibary" - and it does look a bit like that on the image. That's the closest match to "Febuary" that l can find for an Edith born c1918 living in Dante, VA. If you'd like a copy of the image to have a look yourself, send me a pm. By the way, I also found them in 1930, by which time they'd moved to Baltimore. Her parents were Paul and Barbola, they were Hungarian immigrants.

cheers,
                      Richard
                      Thank you very much, Richard.

I'll see if I can find that family in 1930 when I get home (...I did, thankyou). I don't think that the surname in 1937 was Veselovsky - but that's not to say that they hadn't changed the surname at some point. The US censuses were conducted at the 1st Quarter, like most of the UK ones, I think? 3 months of age would be consistent with a Dec 22 birthday. That would maker her even younger at her marriage: not quite 18.

I may well succumb to the temptation of a PM! Or, to save the risk of trespass on the T&C, perhaps I'd better find it next time I go to the local library? I've managed to find it on my home system - as far as the closed padlock.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the US 1940 census to see what names link up by that date.

Christine
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-08-09, 17:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        Thank you very much, Richard.

I'll see if I can find that family in 1930 when I get home (...I did, thankyou). I don't think that the surname in 1937 was Veselovsky - but that's not to say that they hadn't changed the surname at some point. The US censuses were conducted at the 1st Quarter, like most of the UK ones, I think? 3 months of age would be consistent with a Dec 22 birthday. That would maker her even younger at her marriage: not quite 18.

I may well succumb to the temptation of a PM! Or, to save the risk of trespass on the T&C, perhaps I'd better find it next time I go to the local library? I've managed to find it on my home system - as far as the closed padlock.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the US 1940 census to see what names link up by that date.

Christine

Oh I don't think it would be breaching any T&C for me to email the image privately, but it's up to you! By the way, what was your errant gf's name, and whereabouts in USA did he and Edith end up?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard in Perth View Post
                          Oh I don't think it would be breaching any T&C for me to email the image privately, but it's up to you! By the way, what was your errant gf's name, and whereabouts in USA did he and Edith end up?
                          If others don't mind, I'll post it here - it's another opportunity for someone googling to pick it up one day!

I've just done an Excel chart of all the documentary evidence for him - and it's really very unlikely that the Leonard Keith BENNETT in the USA (b variously 1887, 1893, on 6 Mar, when specified, in Birmingham, or even in 1903!) is not the same as Leonard BENNETT (b 6 Mar 1887, Handsworth, Birmingham): there are too many overlaps of information linking otherwise conflicting records. A particularly significant overlap is that his signature on the USA documents is such a close match for the groom's signature on the marriage record of my grandparents in 1911. And this is against the background of a family rumour that that was where he'd gone in 1916.

In 1930 he was with his new "1st" wife (no record found) Ruth, and her son in Detroit, MI, and working as a department store floor manager. By 1936, he was a crane operator for Rotary Electric Steel Inc, still in Detroit. He lived in that area (so far as I can tell) until about 1958, when he moved to Largo, FL, where he lived with his wife (by then - but I haven't found that marriage record), May G BENNETT (lately Mrs Howell DAVIES, née ?).

I haven't managed to track down anything more about Edith. I'd love to know if I have any half-uncles/aunts/cousins over there! In fact, there's also a whole 8 years to account for while he was in Toronto - and who knows what he got up to there! ;)

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-08-09, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                          X