Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great grandma - where was she registered ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great grandma - where was she registered ?

Following on from Tessie's thread, my great grandma Clara Chadwick was born 12 April 1883 in Leeds. I have found that out by finally finding her baptism records at a completely unexpected RC church in Leeds. I cannot find her birth registration at all. I have approximately 4 unwanted birth certificates at home for various Clara Chadwicks born between 1882 and 1885 in the Leeds and surrounding areas.

At some point between 1883 and 1891, the family moved to Oldham from Castleford via Leeds (where Clara was born) - is it possible that Clara was baptised before she was actually registered and would it now be worth my while looking in the Lancashire area for her registration ?

Many thanks for suggestions

There are a few reasons.

1) She may have been born and registered well away from Leeds

2) She may have been registered as Female Chadwick (though nothing in the Yorks/Lancs region on freebmd)

3) It's possible her registration never made it from the local registrar to the GRO index (or was mistranscribed at some point during the process), in which case the only place to try and obtain a copy would be via the local registrar.

4)She may not have been registered.

Ruling out options 1-3 might help you decide if option 4 applies but you may never know for sure.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

There's this one (a bit early for your purposes) in 1880:
      CHADWICK Clara Leeds West Leeds WEST/142/468

(see YorksBMD: Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths)

She's the only Clara CHADWICK whose birth registration shows up on that site in the Yorkshire Districts it covers 1880-1891.

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 04-08-09, 17:07.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is this 1883 possibility to follow up:
        CHADWICK Clarissa Ardsley Leeds ARDS/18/192

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine and Glen. The Claras and Clarissas you have mentioned - I have their(unfortunately unwanted) birth certificates - I have a Clara Jane Chadwick also (also unwanted tut) and a further Clara Chadwick registered in Todmorden between Yorkshir and Lancashire.

I am going to try nearer to Oldham I think, I have seen a Clara Alice Chadwick (right time period and both names are family names) in Leigh which is closish (16miles) to Oldham. Wonder if there were many pits in the area ??

Many thanks for looking

Comment

Probably worth checking Lancsbmd as well as freebmd etc.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Where was Calra's mother from??

I searched for ages for my g grandfather's birth.....I also had his baptism and they used that town as his birth place for every census. Seems his mother was at her mother's when he was born so registered in another place.

Of coures after all this, an elderly aunt said....."Oh yes, that's right Willie was born while great grandma was at her mum's"...............lol

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                Where was Calra's mother from??l
                Mary Chadwick (nee Merriman) was either from Ireland or Lichfield. On the first censuses she was on as being born in Ireland (needless to say she isn't on the civil registration records), in 1881 she was down as being born in Malta (she wasn't), from 1891 to 1911, she was down as being born in Lichfield, Staffordshire. Her family, at the time of Mary being married were in Heaton Norris, Stockport and were also there in 1881. Mary and her husband were in Castleford, Yorkshire at that time

There is a Mary Merriman in Staffordshire for the right year of birth but not the right one.
                Last edited by champagnegal; 04-08-09, 22:07.

Comment

Working...
                X