Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I restore old blackandwhite photos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I restore old blackandwhite photos?

I have loads of really old black and white family photos and want to restore quite a few of them.
    I have bought a scanner and am scanning them at 300dpi as colour photos as suggested in the wiki.
    I have several photo editing programmes eg arcsoft photo impression 4.5 and photostudio 5.5 and something else that came with my samsung camera.
    I have read the manuals that came with them but they seem to be for colour photos and I wondered whether anyone can give me any tips. the only tool i really know how to use is 'enhance' which doesnt always clean them up enough for what i want.

i have read a few web sites but dont really understand them. so any advice in words of one or two syllables would be most appreciated!!!!

thank you
    Angelina

Hi Angelina,
    Before I got Photoshop, I used PhotoStudio 5.5 as it came free with my scanner. It doesn't have as many features as Photoshop or Elements, but you can still do quite a lot with it. The tool I used most was the Clone tool, for getting rid of scratches, spots, etc. Smudge and Blur and Sharpen are useful as well.
    I don't know of any tutorials for PhotoStudio, but if you want to post a photo you're working on, I can try and talk you through some of the things I would try.
    Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah

Angelina, have a look at Brian's videos ~ click on this

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi Rachel!

Yes, it's worth looking at Photoshop Tutorials - just keep in mind that not all of the techniques may be availble in PhotoStudio.
        Sarah

Comment

Rachel and Sarah,
          That's great - i have clicked onthe links for the tutorials so will watch them. just need to find another extension lead so i can have sound too!!
          i have hundreds of photos now all named o nthe back in pencil so wont post any up here as it would clog up the whole network and probably crash the internet but many thanks for helping me.
          Angelina

Comment

If you watch a Photoshop tutorial and can't figure out where the same tool is in PhotoStudio or how to use it, just give me a shout and I'll try and locate it for you. Can't promise I'll be able to help, but I'll try!
            Sarah

Comment

Sarah
              thanks very much, but i havent found the extension lead yet so still no sound!! will get back to you to if i need help. thanks very much again.
              Angelina

Comment

There are also lots of 'written' tutorials out there, which don't require sound. Lots on this site: RetouchPRO
                There is a subforum for restoration: Photo Restoration - RetouchPRO
                Last edited by Cloggie; 05-08-09, 10:41.
                Sarah

Comment

sarah,
                  have just had a look - its v complicated - will need some serious lucozade i think before i start. thanks v much.
                  Angelina

Comment

Yes, some of those are complicated, depending on what you are trying to do.
                    You might find some of these easier to follow: Tutorials for Repairing and Restoring Damaged Photos in Photoshop
                    Remember though, that they are specific to Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements), so you may need to use some different approaches in PhotoStudio.
                    Here's one that shows how to use the Clone tool to repair damage: Photoshop Tutorial - Restorations

If you google "photo restoration", or a particular problem you want to solve, such as "repairing scratches", you will find lots more tutorials and tips.

There are lots of photo restoration clips on YouTube as well, but you'll need sound for those.
                    Last edited by Cloggie; 05-08-09, 15:10.
                    Sarah

Comment

Working...
                    X