Help with the census' please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with the census' please?

I am having major trouble finding George Norman Bachelor on the 71, 81, 91 and 1901 census'! I think I have him on the 61 aged 7 with his parents. On the 71 there are no hits but 2 with the spelling of Batchelor! However, neither of them match with the 61 apart from his year and place of birth and his fathers 1st name. On his sons birth cert. 1874 (George Herbert Bachelor) he is a sergeant in the Royal Artillery. And on the 81 George Herbert is living with an aunt and uncle. So, could he be serving away somewhere each time the census' were completed?
    The most likely birth I can see is in 1854 Winchester, Hampshire.
    Any help is really appreciated!!
    Thanks
    Tessie
    P.s Just going to look on Ancestry to see if anyone has a tree!

tessie try searching for bat**** you will see a variant.. Batcheler..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Try looking for alternate spellings: Bacheler, Batchelor, Batcheler, etc...

As Julie says, you can use an asterisk to search for alternate word endings. So typing in Bat* will search for names starting with Bat, and Bac* will search for names starting with Bac.

Can you provide some more info, like George's parents' names and his place of birth, so that others can try to search for him too?
      Last edited by Cloggie; 04-08-09, 06:46.
      Sarah

Comment

only problem wit that, is with ancestry, you must have the first three letters before a wildcard. annoying when, the mistranscription is usually one of the first three letters!!

Comment

True, forgot to mention that bit. Yes, you need at least 3 letters before the asterisk.

A few more tips from Ancestry:
          There must be at least 3 characters before any wildcard.
          Try using the single-character wildcard "?" rather than the multiple-character wildcard "*".
          (e.g., using "Hans?n" matches both "Hansen" and "Hanson" rather than using "Hans*").
          Last edited by Cloggie; 04-08-09, 06:49.
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you for that information!
            If I buy the marriage cert. for his son (my direct line), would that give me anymore details about him?
            Thanks
            Tessie

Comment

- Ancestry.co.uk

looks a possible?
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
                Thank you for that information!
                If I buy the marriage cert. for his son (my direct line), would that give me anymore details about him?
                Thanks
                Tessie

If you get the marriage cert it should give you fathers names/occ's and any witness' names that could be relatives.
                Julie

Comment

and this looks to be the same family in 1901

- Ancestry.co.uk
                  Julie

Comment

Thanks for those but he married Selina Washington in 1872. He was also a soldier in the Royal Artillery (which his son followed into). I now have a possible birth in 1845 Oxford! His son, my gg grandfather was born in Portsmouth, so at some point they were living there either in the RA or as civillians. So I think I will order my gg grandfathers marriage cert or hismarriage cert. to Selina so I can figure out where/when he was born!
                    Thanks for all your help!
                    Tessie

Comment

Working...
                    X