Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Jackson - Any ideas?!!

Evening!

I'm looking to see if anyone knows any history on the surname House Jackson. My G Grandad dropped the "house" part when he joined the army. But other than that i know nothing else.

Here's to hoping that someone can help.

Thanks.
    I love researching my family! Even though it is frustrating, addictive, complicated..............! :xmas_eek:

Surely it's just a double barrelled name? The two names together will have some significance for the family but I doubt if it appears anywhere as a specific surname.

The usual reason (in my family, anyway!) is that someone was born illegitimate and later added a stepfather's surname!

OC

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't even thought of that. Got me thinking though!
      I love researching my family! Even though it is frustrating, addictive, complicated..............! :xmas_eek:

Comment

There are quite a lot of House/Jackson marriages on FreeBMD, Maybe someone way back married. Mum wasn't nee House , was she?
        Jess

Comment

What is his surname on his birth certificate?

OC

Comment

I have quite a few families where there was no illegitimacy, but the mother's maiden name was used as one of the children's first or middle names. This is why we have Slingsby as a recurring woman's middle name in my family. I suppose it may be a regional custom.

Comment

Working...
            X