Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Records

Hi all.

I'm wanting to request some family members army personell records which is £30 a head. I just wondered if anyone else had requested such things from the army?

It still costs you £30 even if they find nothing & with 3 family members to research that's quite a sum of money.

I just wondered what everyone elses experiences had been & what sort of time you waited for documents.

Thanks for looking guys
    I love researching my family! Even though it is frustrating, addictive, complicated..............! :xmas_eek:

yes I have got a few and they are well worth buying will normally give you the parents names and address if not married, or the wifes and childrens names and dates of birth etc very helpful if you arent sure .
    The longest I waited was about 7 weeks one came within 3 good luck

Comment

Hello and Welcome to FTF

I ordered my Dads 5 mths ago now, i had heard they do take months to arrive. So now, each morning i am "stalking" the postman :D;)

I have been told they do hold quite a lot of info - hope so !!
      Jacky

Comment

If they are WW1 records have you checked to see if they are available to download from Ancestry?
        Elaine

Comment

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board) try here

Comment

I sent off for my Grandfathers and it told me a great deal. He was at Galipolli, his injuries and the fact he went to Malta on a Ship with the name of it. He also served in France but not too much about that unfortunately.

The different addresses my Mother stayed at during WW11 when they were bombed out of their house.

My Grandfather was in service during WW1 and WW11. WW1 he was already serving with the Royal Munster Fusiliers and in WW11 he volunteered being older he didn't leave the country.

It was well worth the £30, but it was a 3 month wait as they attend to living service personnel's records before the deceased.

Regards
            Jill

Comment

I sent off for my fathers records last week and today had a reply saying that they were busy with Welfare Requests so family interest requests could take six to eight months to complete.

Margaret
              Margaret

Comment

I sent off for my Father's WW2 army records about 18 months ago without no luck, the MOD records cannot find details without a army number, my problem was I miss-read the number.
                During the 6 months wait the records office did write 5 times stating they were unable to find my fathers records and could I help with any more details,the case was then closed (£30 not refunded)

During a visit to Bedford records centre I found my father's enlistment entry to the Beds & Herts and the correct army number.

I reapplied to the MOD records office and sent my £30 once again with all the paperwork, within 4 days I received all my father's documents and the cheque returned, a letter enclosed did state that I had already applied with in 2 years for the same records a priority seach was given.

Worked out in the end, but a long wait!

Also, there is a WW2 war records article in September's WDYTYA magazine.

Only 5 more year's before these records should become public (75 year Closure)

All the best.

Steve.
                Steve.
                Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

thats interesting Steve as I applied for an uncles and we tried to get his but not knowing his number they could not be found maybe I will find his number somewhere else ???

Comment

My father was in the RAF so not so many to search through, but all I gave them were his name & date & place of birth. The records were with me in under 4 weeks.
                    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                      I sent off for my fathers records last week and today had a reply saying that they were busy with Welfare Requests so family interest requests could take six to eight months to complete.

Margaret
                      I'm still waiting for my Dads - 6 months now:D
                      Jacky

Comment

Working...
                      X