Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1911 census living in The Tower of London ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census living in The Tower of London ?

I have a family the head of which is listed as Yeoman Warder Tower of London Army pensioner they seem to be living at The Tower ??? was this quite normal practise??
    And could I see anything anywhere about his Army records online ???

Yes Yeoman Warders lived in tied accomodation inside the walls of the Tower of London.

I have a feeling some still do. One of my friend's father's when I was young was a Yeoman and he used to be what they called the Key Keeper - he used to lock up at night or something like that probably just ceremony...

Edit to say: I just looked it up Ceremony of the Keys I remember my friend's dad telling me about it...
    Last edited by Guest; 03-08-09, 21:03.

Comment

Thanks Maggie I would have hated living there fascinating to visit but a bit spooky to live.
      Where would I be able to look at his records or his son who was a Grenadier Guard at the Tower too ?

Comment

There you go

Ceremony of the Keys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember when I was a kid my friends dad telling me all this and I used laugh I thought he was mucking about. They still do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          Thanks Maggie I would have hated living there fascinating to visit but a bit spooky to live.
          Where would I be able to look at his records or his son who was a Grenadier Guard at the Tower too ?
          I have a feeling that Yeoman Warders were taken from all sorts of regiments and have to be non commissioned officers so their service records would be held in their original regiment. I'm not sure about the Yeoman Warders service records to be honest.

Comment

thanks again for that link

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
              Yes Yeoman Warders lived in tied accomodation inside the walls of the Tower of London.

I have a feeling some still do. One of my friend's father's when I was young was a Yeoman and he used to be what they called the Key Keeper - he used to lock up at night or something like that probably just ceremony...

Edit to say: I just looked it up Ceremony of the Keys I remember my friend's dad telling me about it...
              They do indeed! I think they had their first female Yeoman Warder recently

Comment

I went to see the Ceremony of the Keys many years ago, from memory it was quite interesting.

Can't remember the exact words ...

who goes there ..
                the keys ...
                whose keys ...
                the queens keys ...

or something like that. I'm sure details can be googled.

Edit:
                Just noticed, maggie has found the details.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-08-09, 01:53.

Comment

Val to go back to your initial question - of where you might find army records - it will depend somewhat on the period they were in service. If they were Guardsmen - a good place to start might be the records that were kept separately for the Guards Regiments - this info from Researching a soldier: army service records of 1914-1918 gives details:

The Guards. The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Some require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases, you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search.

Otherwise - the general advice for Army records from the NA site is worth wading through

The National Archives | Getting started | Military History | Army

Good Luck
                  Sue

Comment

I'm fascinated now must find out more .thanks very much Sue for that info .

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      I'm fascinated now must find out more .thanks very much Sue for that info .
                      Val,

you can also find info about the guards in our Wiki.. link below

The Army - Family Tree Forum
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Julie I never think to look in there.

Comment

Working...
                        X