So where was my gg grandfather born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So where was my gg grandfather born?

Hi all, I am having a nightmare trying to work out where he was born!
    On ancestry/free bmd it is Colchester, Essex and on his father's service records Dundalk! Does the fact it is on ancestry/free bmd mean it was the uk rather than Ireland?
    Thanks
    Tessie

Only if you buy the certificate and find its the right one (or maybe the wrong one) - in which case perhaps he was born in Ireland.

If it is the right one perhaps he was actually born in Colchester but taken to Ireland when he was tiny.

Anne

Comment

Tessie - I have come across children's baptism information in Ireland (rather than birth) on Army service records - so if you are sure it is him born in Colchester - it could be as Anne suggests that he went to Ireland when very young and it is his baptism that was recorded (there has been a vicar/priest's name mentioned on mine) - can you tell any more from the dates his father was posted to Ireland?

Cheers
      Sue

Comment

I don't think he was posted to Ireland- not on Ancestry records anyway!
        However, why would he have put Dundalk if he wasn't posted there at some point? If he was it would of been around 1907 as thats when he was born.
        Thanks
        Tessie

Comment

Tessie - do you have his birth certificate? That will tell you for sure where he was born and who his parents were. You say you have found the reference on FreeBMD - or maybe you're not sure now if that really is him?

Do you have his father's name from his marriage certificate?

Would you like to post some details here and see if anyone can help?

Anne

Comment

I have a G-g-father who varied his PoB (in censuses) between Ilford and Maidenhead. I eventually worked out that he'd been born in the Ilford area (Barkingside, when I got the cert), but brought up in the Maidenhead area (Bray/Cookham).

I suspect he was sometimes asked where he was from, instead of where he was born.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The clue may be in the initial post. Colchester is a barracks town and the army had a big presence in Ireland. So does two and two make five?
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Ann, I don't have his birth cert. I think I will buy the one for Colchester to make sure it is him!
                Uncle John, I didn't know that!
                Thanks to you all
                Tessie

Comment

Working...
                X