Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Dobson c1787

Hi

I am hoping that some one can help me with this brick wall.

One of my direct ancestors Robert Dobson was born c1787 probably Pickering, Yorkshire, but no proof. There is a marriage of Robert Dobson to Mary Turner 28 Dec 1809 which could be his but I am really struggling.

Is there any one who lives in this area who could do a bit of detective work for me. I have looked on the North Riding of Yorkshire Exchange site on the Wiki but there is no link for Pickering. I have also e-mailed Pickering Family history society in the hope they might help, but got no response. Pickering seems to be rather geneologically isolated.

Just for the record Robert Dobson is the father of William Dobson who married in 1838. I have his marriage certificate and this is where Robert's name came from.

All help will be very gratefully received.

Sandra

so you don't have william's baptism?

Comment

Why do you think Robert was born in Pickering and C1787?

I can see a Robert Dobson marrying a Mary Spaver, 26 Jul 1813, Pickering on IGI. Could this be another possibility? Why do you think Mary Turner could be Robert's wife?

Comment

Hi Kyle and John,

Thank you for your replies. This is more of a brick wall than I realised. I not sure about William's baptism. But I do know that he was married in Pickering and was in Pickering in 1841 and 1851. You have made me realise that I was assuming that he was born in Pickering which obviously may not be the case. The only certainty is that Robert Dobson was William's father.

According to the census returns William was born c1809, so I was looking for a marriage for Robert Dobson around this time there is a marriage of Robert Dobson and Mary Turner 28 Dec 1807 which is a possible marriage for Robert. In addition, they had a son, William, Christened 27 September 1809. However, this is submitted entry on igi so I am not sure how reliable it is.

I was guessing an age for Robert based on a marriage around 1807

I am not sure where to go with this one.

Sandra
        Last edited by Sherbertrose; 04-08-09, 09:48. Reason: additional information

Comment

Sandra,

have you looked at Hugh wallis site?

there are alot of Dobsons bapt there, in particular a Robert but with parents Richard and Sarah.

IGI Individual Record=

You can also use this to pinpoint any childrens bapts, and possibly work out which child belongs to what parents.

hope it helps
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

I think this baptism is too late to be William's father (Robert). William is consistently, recorded on census returns as being born c1809. The baptism you have found for Robert would make his date of birth around around 1793.

Sandra

Comment

hmnm I see what you mean,

might there be a will for Robert?? I see from the 1851 cens that he is a 'landed proprieter' so there might be a will?
              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Which census are you looking at? I have not managed to find a census with Robert on. His son William was in Pickering in 41 and 51. He was a shoemaker married to Hannah.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                  Hi Julie,

Which census are you looking at? I have not managed to find a census with Robert on. His son William was in Pickering in 41 and 51. He was a shoemaker married to Hannah.

Sandra
                  Ohh so sorry Sandra..

I was doing that sweary word thing... hang on i'll see if I can find it.

Julie

Comment

here we go..

- Ancestry.co.uk
                    Julie

Comment

I have found a baptism too.. I dont know how close Pickering is to Hull

William Dobson
                      Christ Date:28 May 1787
                      Christ Place:Hull, Yorkshire, England
                      Father's Name:Robert Dobson
                      Julie

Comment

At a rough guess I'd say that Hull is about 60miles away.

I've noticed that I have an Elizabeth Dobson, bc1745, Pickering in my tree. She married a George Spenceley, 1768.

I still have to check this out though as some of the info was given to me.

Comment

Hi Julie,

I don't think the Census return which you found is my Robert. According to his son Williams marriage certificate he was a labourer (1838).

Also, if my theory is correct and I stress if, then Robert Dobson and Mary Turner had three other children James, Jane, and Mary.

Unfortunately, Dobson is a very common name in this area of Yorkshire which makes me think he was born in this locality, but does not help me find him.

John, re the above point about the common nature of Dobson in the Pickering area - I am not too sure that Elizabeth will help me, but that thanks for the thought.

Sandra

Comment

Hi Sandra, Sorry, my mention of Elizabeth wasn't really aimed at helping you. It was more of a statement to say I have a Dobson from Pickering in my tree and if at anytime in the future you come across her in your tree, etc... etc... I'll keep quiet now :o ;) :D

Comment

Sandra,

can you post the details for the census that you have william and hannah on I can't seem to find them :o
                              Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, this is the family in 1851

- Ancestry.co.uk

I have managed to find them on all the census returns. It is William's parents I now need to find.

Sandra
                                Last edited by Sherbertrose; 05-08-09, 10:17.

Comment

well according to that he was born in Melton/Welton yorks..

had a quick look on HW and cant see any dobson bapts there at all.

as he was a cordwainer/boot maker did he leave a will? I might shed abit more light on the subject..

I take it william/hannahs marriage was by banns?
                                  Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    well according to that he was born in Melton/Welton yorks.
                                    Welton is near Pickering and Malton (I have some folk from that area).
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Julie,

The marriage was in the parish church, Pickering by banns. Wrelton in a village in Pickering and William died in Scarborough in 1887 (I think).

I have not found any indication that he left a will. If he did how would this help me find his parents? In all probability his parents would have died before William particularly as William was at least 71 when he died (source 1881 census).

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                        Hi Julie,

The marriage was in the parish church, Pickering by banns. Wrelton in a village in Pickering and William died in Scarborough in 1887 (I think).

I have not found any indication that he left a will. If he did how would this help me find his parents? In all probability his parents would have died before William particularly as William was at least 71 when he died (source 1881 census).

Sandra
                                        it might mention where he was born, then you can see if there is a bapt and/or give info about other relatives you havent got.

I think that you will have to start at pickering and then work in a radius working outwards and look in subsequent parishes.

have you looked at no-con bapts at all? he might be listed in those.

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

You can search for free, but buy credits to see the images.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X