X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any French Speakers Handy?

Having trouble deciphering the baptism of my 7x great grandfather

I have it as

Francois Bellenger sont des œuvres? de Francois Bellenger et de Magdelaine Soubin sous deux de la RPR a des ne vingt cinqe Decembre au dit on par moi vicaire soussigne et a ete nomme Francois par Francois Poullan ? ?..de Catherine.. ? ? Marriane sa Marge Delade.

Francois Bellenger, the work of? Francois Bellenger and Magdelaine Soubin, both of the R.P.R, and who was born on 25 December, and who has been called by me the vicar undersigned, with the name Francois for Francois Poullan...Catherine...Godmother is Marge Delade.

If anyone with better French than my own, could help fill in the gaps or show if and where I may have gone wrong much appreciated.
    Last edited by Richard; 03-08-09, 11:04.

Francois Bellinger sorti des oeuvres de ????ois Bellinger et de Magdelaine soussigne tous deux de la RPR a dis ce 25 decembre au dis on par moi vicaire soussigne et a ete nomme Francois par Francois ?oulland ? ? de catherine signer? ??? et? marraine sa marque du lad?

RPR might stand for Religion pretendue reformee?
    Last edited by Geoff Devon; 03-08-09, 12:24.
    Woodcock(Dudley...Worcestershire Broseley...Shropshire) Woodley & Allen(Herts/Essex/London/Kent/Surrey... & NSW/Vic/Queensland... AUS) and MANY, MANY more...!

Sherlock always gets a result

Comment

Thanks Geoff, that's right R.P.R Religion Pretendue Reformee, they were Protestants.

I see I have made a few errors, I'm thinking now based on what you have this might be a more accurate reflection of what it would roughly translate to?

"Francois Bellenger, offspring (child) of Francois Bellenger and Magdelaine Soubin, both of whom are of the R.P.R, was on 25th December, by me, the curate undersigned, named Francois for Francois Poullan/Roulland, signed?, and Catherine.. Soubien? for godmother, her mark below"

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Devon View Post

RPR might stand for Religion pretendue reformee?
        That's right, they were evidently Huguenots.

Refuge Huguenot : accueil

Comment

Ooh, Richard, Bellengers! I've got some of them. Seeing the name gave me quite a turn!

(I think you did a lookup for me on your GR thread a while ago, though, and we established my lot didn't seem to connect with any other Bellengers. Still looking though!)
          Last edited by Lindsay; 03-08-09, 20:44.

Comment

Hello Lindsay, yes used to do a look up thread on there, I'm sure I do remember speaking with you on there. Shame not found that link yet..but sure it is out there somewhere!

Comment

Working...
            X