viewing 1881 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viewing 1881 census

is it possible to see the actual page of the 1881 census, at moment see it via a free ancestry page, that is somebodies impression of what is on page.
    Reason am asking is that for a William Geary born about 1853 there are 2 possibles.
    The one that I think (hope) is my one has name Jennett as wifes name, other one has Jane and think that is my Williams wife name, reason believe this is down to children shown, the Jennett being miss transcribed.
    Both are shown as being born in Lambeth, but the one with Jennett as wife is still living in Lambeth and my lot on that side did not seem to stray far often from Lambeth/Southwark area.

If you give the reference numbers I'll have a look for you and can send the images by email.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi,
      I have looked at the images for 1881 and the families are as follows

Harriett Street

William Geary 28 Coach painter
      Jennett 28 wife
      Susan 6 dau
      Jas Wm 4 dau
      (It definitely looks like the abbreviation for James William but states daughter and the age is in the column for female ages)

Thirza Street

William Geary 28 Painter
      Jane 30 wife
      William 5 son
      Francis 3 son

Hope this helps,
      Emeltee

Comment

OK have found it. The one with Jennett as the wife looks like a correct transcription but may be a wrong spelling by either the enumerator or whoever gave the details. The children on that one are Susan age 6 and Jas Wm age 4 - they have this child as a daughter but the name suggests it's a boy!
        The occupation for William Geary is Coach Painter if that helps.
        Margaret
        Oops too slow!

Comment

hopefully this is what is required.

Class RG11 Piece 587 Folio 97 Page 14 GSU roll 1341134

and

Class RG11 Piece 462 Folio 32 Page 57 GSU roll 1341101

Thats very kind of you, thank you, do you need me to give email addy, not sure how you pm on here

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            OK have found it. The one with Jennett as the wife looks like a correct transcription but may be a wrong spelling by either the enumerator or whoever gave the details. The children on that one are Susan age 6 and Jas Wm age 4 - they have this child as a daughter but the name suggests it's a boy!
            The occupation for William Geary is Coach Painter if that helps.
            Margaret
            Oops too slow!
            The Jas Wm is one of reasons interested to see it as in the 1891 census a James W. age 14 is shown as Aflicted, what ever that means

Comment

Mike
              I have PM'd you with my address.
              Probably means he was crippled or deaf/dumb/blind.
              Margaret

Comment

I may be COMPLETELY wrong here and can offer no proof of this, but when I read "afflicted" in your post, my brain immediately said "suffered from fits".

As I say, that came unbidden out of my brain and could very well be wrong as there seems to be a lot of rubbish lying around in my brain.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X