Ancestry Criminal Registers Indexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Criminal Registers Indexes

I've just noticed that Ancestry have put up the Criminal Register Indexes. I found 6 entries for one of my rellies!

Jane

Criminal records on Ancestry

Apologies if someone has already posted this link.

England & Wales, Criminal Registers, 1791-1892 - Ancestry.co.uk
    This database contains criminal registers from England and Wales for the years 1791-1892. The criminal registers are a listing of individuals charged with crime. The registers provide information about the charged individual, their trial, and sentence (if convicted) or other outcome.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks for the link Elaine. Are you able to view the images?
      I've just tried, and it tells me to sign up for Essentials, Premium or Worldwide membership, even though I already have Essentials membership.
      Sarah

Comment

I can view the images - am on the Premium subscription.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Jane, I had a look but unfortunately can't find what I want. I think the records were destroyed for the chap I'm interested in.

Comment

We posted at the same time Jane - have merged our two threads!
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              I can view the images - am on the Premium subscription.
              I suspect I would need to upgrade to Premium in order to view them. But the strange thing is it doesn't tell me I need to upgrade; it says "The record that you've just tried to view is available through one of the memberships below." and then lists Essentials, Premium and Worldwide.
              Sarah

Comment

Thank you I have found my GGG Grandfather Samuel Gilbert I had him in the 1861 Census as being in Devonport Prison but couldn't find out anymore. Now I know he was convicted of Larceny after former conviction and he got 3 years. The only naughty one I have found so far, honest.

Comment

I just looked for our 'known criminal'. We already had sketched out his career from age 13 with the help of the 19C Newspaper collection (which luckily covers the area he lived in)

I am interested to see that some of his convictions are listed in the books on Ancestry but not all of them by any means, so presumably only some of the books are available for whatever reason.

So, from me, if you find someone on the list try matching it with the 19C newspapers to see if you get more detail. Our Joseph had a very sad life, in and out of prison. In one case (not listed here) he got one year in prison for being a 'suspicious person known to the police'

Good luck everyone
                  Anne

Comment

Some interesting crimes - a John Turnbull got 6 months - his crime was being an Incorrigible Rogue.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Oh no!

I have found three that look really interesting (very rare surname) but I can't look at them as I only have the essentials package. It would cost me £107 to upgrade to the premium.

Guess I shall have to wait until I go to the library

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

*dogears page to look later*
                        Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                          Some interesting crimes - a John Turnbull got 6 months - his crime was being an Incorrigible Rogue.
                          That was part of the Vagrancy Act 1824.
                          Who shall be deemed incorrigible rogues.
                          Vagrancy Act 1824 (c.83)

Some reading this may think that it's a gold mine of information. Be warned however, before upgrading your membership. Most I've looked at only give the name of the person, offence, sentence, and date and place of trial. There's no dob, address, or where offence committed. If your looking at a common name then there's little to confirm it's them. What it will do is point you in the direction of checking on other sources such as newspapers and indictment records, etc.
                          Last edited by keldon; 03-08-09, 11:34.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk
                          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
                            Oh no!

I have found three that look really interesting (very rare surname) but I can't look at them as I only have the essentials package. It would cost me £107 to upgrade to the premium.

Guess I shall have to wait until I go to the library
                            Is it telling you to upgrade? It keeps telling me to subscribe (says the records are included in Essentials/Premium/Worldwide), but I think it means upgrade as I have Essentials and it won't let me view the images.
                            Sarah

Comment

I can view images if anyone want info i can at least let you know what it says.

I remember doing some transcibing for this last year i even have seen the pages i did.

Luckily non of my reli s appear on the pages so far .

Sheep stealing seams a popular pastime lol, 10 years deportation seems harsh , maybe we should use that for some of antisocial behavour cases.

Times were hard then and it seems that middle 20 early 30 s is the average age with as young as 11 to one at 75 .

Peter

Comment

Peter, I see you are in Bedfordshire. Don't know if that's where your ancestors are from as well and whether you are familiar with this site Bedfordshire & Luton Archives and Records Service - Gaol Register Search Page
                                I've found someone with the same name as one of my ancestors getting arrested over and over again in Biggleswade, including for stealing ducks. But there's not enough information to know for sure whether he fits into my tree or not.
                                Sarah

Comment

Not only am i in Bedfordshire but actually in Biggleswade adn i rarely ahve seen any ducks around did they steal them all lol.

Unfortunatley we moved up here in the late 60's and my ancesters are from Sussex and Kent.

I will take a look at that site which i was unaware of .

Peter

Comment

Thank you for this....I may be some time!
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Stenning View Post
                                      Not only am i in Bedfordshire but actually in Biggleswade adn i rarely ahve seen any ducks around did they steal them all lol.
                                      Maybe he did, ha ha. :D
                                      What a coincidence that you're in Biggleswade. Will send you a PM.
                                      Sarah

Comment

Help! I can only save image as gif or bitmap and my puter won't open them.
                                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                                        X