Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone connect two marriages, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone connect two marriages, please.

I have to be a bit careful here as one of these people may still be living, so I'll use other names.

Mary Jones and John Brown marry in 1940, have a daughter in 1941, then divorce in 1948.

If there is a John Brown who is the same age and born in the same large city marries in 1954, how can I see if it's the same John??

I thought of getting both marriage certs and hoping John's father has an unusual name and it's the same on both.

Any other ideas.

This is in England and I've been spoilt by Australian certs.

If it is the same John Brown, would the later cert have his first wife's name on it????

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post

If it is the same John Brown, would the later cert have his first wife's name on it????
    no it wouldn't
    Jess

Comment

you might have to get the marriage cert libby.

Comment

Well the father's name and occupation and John Brown's occupation if it was the same, might help. Plus, of course, witnesses may be family members.

As for the first wife's name - yes it might be on the marriage cert. My father-in-law (now dead) was divorced when he married my mother-in-law (though I only found out when they were both dead!) Their marriage cert states

"Fred Bloggs, formerly the husband of Mary Jane Bloggs, formerly Smithers, spinster, from whom he obtained a divorce".

I don't know if this is regular procedure on marriages or whether the registrar or my fil were being concerned about accuracy.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks................

Nell......I think it might be worthwhile getting the two certs.

The occupation might tell me something but due to the nature of the first marriage, I doubt witnesses will help.

Comment

I also have a re-marriage of a divorcee from 1925.

It states "Formerly the wife of Frederick Bloggs" and then something about the divorce. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Sounding promising, Tom....ta.

Comment

Working...
              X